sendmail.cf & Internet relay problem/question

sendmail.cf & Internet relay problem/question

Post by Mark Peski » Tue, 06 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hi folks,

  I have an AIX box (currently running 4.1.4) that I use as my primary
e-mail site.  I would like to be able to automatically bounce non-local
(i.e. internet) mail off UT's SMTP server to prevent possible delivery
problems.

  It seems sendmail is designed to do this via use of the R macro
defined in sendmail.cf.  Supposedly you can use the d class definition
to specify which domain(s) are local, and mail sent to domain(s) listed
under the d class should be delivered directly without being sent to the
internet relay host first.

  However, whenever I specify an internet relay host (using the R
macro), ALL of my mail, including local mail, is redirected to the relay
host, causing substantial delays (as well as needlessly loading the UT
network).  This happens irrespective of any changes in the d class
definition.

  Question:  Is this a bug, or am I simply interpreting the functions of
the R macro & d class incorrectly?  In any event, if some nice
sendmail.cf expert out there could help me out, I would be very
appreciative.

Thanks,
Mark
__________________________________
Mark Peskin                              \_______   _______/

Electrical and Computer Engineering             \   /     What, Me
Microelectronics Research Center                |^ ^|      Worry?
                                                 \_/

sendmail.cf & Internet relay problem/question

Post by Don Re » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

In the beginning, or at least on 6 Feb 96 01:18:23 GMT,  Mark Peskin

Quote:

<sniped>

>  However, whenever I specify an internet relay host (using the R
>macro), ALL of my mail, including local mail, is redirected to the relay
>host, causing substantial delays (as well as needlessly loading the UT
>network).  This happens irrespective of any changes in the d class
>definition.

<sniped>

--

Mark, in my setup I have defined the domain and the rule:

DDcalcasieu.com

Calcasieu Lumber Co.                uunet!calcas!sysop
Austin, TX
< Win '95; What property do you want to set today ? >-