Repartitioning without loosing everything

Repartitioning without loosing everything

Post by Athanasios Menegat » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi,
    I know this may seem like a trivial question but I am new in the
area..  I was wondering if it would be posible to increase the size of
a partition by taking away some space from another partition that is
mostly empty.  If so how would this be accomplished.
        Thanks

Repartitioning without loosing everything

Post by garrett curti » Sun, 27 Oct 1996 04:00:00

You need to dump both partitions to tape that are being changed, change
the partitions in the format utility, do 'newfs' on the partitions, mount
them to a temporary mount point such as /mnt, restore the files from
tape, then remount the partitions to your system.  I know of no easy
shortcut.  There may be some tool out there that fixes the inode tables
somehow, but I don't currently know of any.  SunOS uses dump/restore,
Solaris uses ufsdump/ufsrestore.

garrett

Post by Doug Barne » Wed, 06 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> You need to dump both partitions to tape that are being changed, change
> the partitions in the format utility, do 'newfs' on the partitions, mount
> them to a temporary mount point such as /mnt, restore the files from
> tape, then remount the partitions to your system.  I know of no easy
> shortcut.  There may be some tool out there that fixes the inode tables
> somehow, but I don't currently know of any.  SunOS uses dump/restore,
> Solaris uses ufsdump/ufsrestore.

> garrett

Why do you need to touch the inodes???  What do you use that uses the
raw inode numbers or are you woried about links or ??

Post by Arne Steinka » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>    I know this may seem like a trivial question but I am new in the
>area..  I was wondering if it would be posible to increase the size of
>a partition by taking away some space from another partition that is
>mostly empty.  If so how would this be accomplished.
>        Thanks

Depends on your Unix flavour.

IBM's logical volume manager make games like this possible.

Besides this,
changing partition sizes of a running system is general possible if the
filesystems sitting in this partitions are not mounted.
Changing the size of the filesystem in the new partition is more complicated.
In fact, the BSD 4.2 filesystem (which became the standard of nearly all
Unix'es) has the ability to grow... but not too much vendors support this.

Greetings
.//. Arne

--

Tel.: +49.89.299.756  | URL: http://WWW.Steinkamm.COM/  NIC-Handle: AS306
Robert-Koch-Str. 4    |      "There's coffee in that nebula"

Post by Steve Kiv » Tue, 12 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >Hi,
> >    I know this may seem like a trivial question but I am new in the
> >area..  I was wondering if it would be posible to increase the size of
> >a partition by taking away some space from another partition that is
> >mostly empty.  If so how would this be accomplished.
> >        Thanks

> Depends on your Unix flavour.

> IBM's logical volume manager make games like this possible.

Not just possible, but a piece of cake.  The command is something like:
"chfs <filesystem> +8000" where you specify the number of additional 512KB
blocks.  You can do this on a production system where applications have
hundreds of active open files in that filesystem, no unmounting necessary.

From what I've read, you need Veritas to get LVM performance under SunOS/
Solaris.  Can someone make a comparison of this product to AIX's LVM?
Also, what is the additional cost?

Thanks,
Steve Kives

Post by x » Mon, 25 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Hi,
:     I know this may seem like a trivial question but I am new in the
: area..  I was wondering if it would be posible to increase the size of
: a partition by taking away some space from another partition that is
: mostly empty.  If so how would this be accomplished.
:         Thanks

1. How to repartition without loosing data

Hi all,

I would like to install YDL 1.2.1 (or 2.0 when it comes out) onmy PB G3
Pismo. I have a 30 GB drive in there of which I have 10 GB left. To put
20 GB somewhere and then repartition the drive using Disk Tools is not
an option as I don't have a 20 GB drive to put it on to.

U have seen a partitioning tool under wintel which lets you shrink a
partition without loosing anything on it and was wondering if something
like that exists for Macs as well ... any pointers?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Chris

2. Dial up login fails -- HELP!

3. Repartitioning without loosing data..

4. KUser

5. How do I install everything without running everything?

6. Intel 740 chipset & XFree86

7. total thread number in one process?

8. how to convert an FAT32 into an linux filesystem (preferrable reiserfs) without loosing data.

9. Trimming logs/records without loosing data

10. How do I install Suse on a FAT 32 Partition without loosing my stuff!

11. Save File without loosing Filepointer