rcmd: socket: Permission denied URGENT!

Post by Andrei Fomitch » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 03:52:51

Tru64 UNIX cluster v5.1A + patch kit 1 + patch kit 2 + patch 308.

"rlogin", "rcp" are working from the user "root", but aren't working
from the user "test".

"ping" gives the same result.

The file "/etc/hosts" has all three: two nodes and the cluster node.
The file "/etc/hosts.equiv" has all three: two nodes and the cluster
node.
The files /.rhostst , /usr/users/test/.rhosts have all three as above.

The user "root" works, the user "test" doesn't work.

Really thanks in advance for ideas!

P.S. (I saw table 1.5 in the UNIX cluster admin guide and the chapter
5 from there, too)

Post by Igmar Palsenber » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 05:14:10

> Tru64 UNIX cluster v5.1A + patch kit 1 + patch kit 2 + patch 308.

> "rlogin", "rcp" are working from the user "root", but aren't working
> from the user "test".

> "ping" gives the same result.

> The file "/etc/hosts" has all three: two nodes and the cluster node.
> The file "/etc/hosts.equiv" has all three: two nodes and the cluster
> node.
> The files /.rhostst , /usr/users/test/.rhosts have all three as above.

> The user "root" works, the user "test" doesn't work.

> Really thanks in advance for ideas!

You probably secrewed up the suid root bits. Binding raw sockets and
ports < 1024 need root privs.

Quote:> P.S. (I saw table 1.5 in the UNIX cluster admin guide and the chapter
> 5 from there, too)

        Igmar

1. HELP: Problem with rlogin: rcmd: socket: Permission denied

Hi,
I am working with slackware 2.1 and having this problem for all
the users except root.  When the user tried to rlogin to some
machine, this is what the system tells him:
   rcmd: socket: Permission denied.

Everything is working for the root user though.

BTW: When I started xdm as root, regular users are able to login
but 'xterm' doesn't work.  This is what it said when user tried to
'xterm':
   Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
   xterm Xt error: Can't open display: :0.0

Other utilites such as xclock, xcalc are working fine.

Please send your help to my email address:

Thanks in advance.
--- Gwobaw Wu

    3334 EECS
    Univ of Michigan
    Ann Arbor, MI 48109

2. Linux server & Windows XP

3. rcmd: socket permission deny

4. Mach64 & Linux XF86Config Option ?

5. "rcmd: socket: Permission denied"

6. Woody and wu-ftpd: LIST does not show any output

7. Solution re: rcmd: Socket : Permission denied

8. Slackware Linux 7.0 fails to see type 82 and 83 primary partitions

9. rlogin gives rcmd: socket: Permission denied

10. rcmd: socket: Permission denied.....problemo

11. rlogin problem: rcmd: socket: Permission denied ???

12. rsh: "rcmd: socket: Permission denied"

13. rcmd: socket: Permission denied