settting up ftp on unix

Post by alexxx1 » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 00:39:00

Hi:

I am trying to figure out why I can ftp from my DOS prompt to my
Unix box /export/home/, but I cannot do the reverse. That is, I
cannot ftp from my Unix box to my windows C:\ drive. How can do
that with the steps?
I would like to be able to ftp with the name of the machine. However,
it does not take it. It only takes the IP address when I ftp from DOS
to Unix. Is there a way to remedy this and have it such that I can use
the machine name instead of the IP address or both? Is so, then how do
I set it up?

Finally, I have Oracle8i installed and a database up and running. The
listener is running as well. I would like to connect simply from my
windows Oracle sqlplus session to my Unix Oracle database. How do I set
up a simple connection? Additionally, what would be the connect string?
The Name of my Unix box is Alex. But as stated above, ftp only
recognizes the IP address: What should be the connect string?

rich
rich
Alex.local

Or

rich
rich
192.168.00.00.local ?

Or something else???

Should I set up a domain and if so, then how do I do that?

I dont know how to resolve these issues?

alex

settting up ftp on unix

Post by daveh.. » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:33:59

Quote:> Hi:
> I am trying to figure out why I can ftp from my DOS prompt to my
> Unix box /export/home/, but I cannot do the reverse. That is, I
> cannot ftp from my Unix box to my windows C:\ drive. How can do
> that with the steps?

You need to be running an ftp server on the windoze box for it to answer
requests from an ftp client.

Quote:> I would like to be able to ftp with the name of the machine. However,
> it does not take it. It only takes the IP address when I ftp from DOS
> to Unix. Is there a way to remedy this and have it such that I can use
> the machine name instead of the IP address or both? Is so, then how do
> I set it up?

You need to have a hosts table, or some sort of host name server set up.

Quote:> Finally, I have Oracle8i installed and a database up and running. The
> listener is running as well. I would like to connect simply from my
> windows Oracle sqlplus session to my Unix Oracle database. How do I set
> up a simple connection? Additionally, what would be the connect string?
> The Name of my Unix box is Alex. But as stated above, ftp only
> recognizes the IP address: What should be the connect string?

Fix your absence of an ftp instance, and your absence of being able to
resolve hostnames, and your problem here will be much more simple.

Quote:> I dont know how to resolve these issues?

One step at a time.  The order you list them in is the right order to
fix them in; each step depends on the previous being done.

Dave Hinz

settting up ftp on unix

Post by Lew Pitch » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:38:44

Perhaps you should read the responses to your previous question about this,
before you ask again.

On Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:39:00 +0000, in comp.unix.admin, alexxx15

>Hi:

>I am trying to figure out why I can ftp from my DOS prompt to my
>Unix box /export/home/, but I cannot do the reverse. That is, I
>cannot ftp from my Unix box to my windows C:\ drive. How can do
>that with the steps?

As I said before, you should check to see that you have an FTP server
running on your Windows box.

FWIW, most MSWindows releases /don't/ provide a native FTP server; it's a
third-party add on to MSWindows.

Quote:>I would like to be able to ftp with the name of the machine. However,
>it does not take it. It only takes the IP address when I ftp from DOS
>to Unix. Is there a way to remedy this and have it such that I can use
>the machine name instead of the IP address or both? Is so, then how do
>I set it up?

Either
a) add both hosts to your DNS server, or
b) i)  add the name and IP address of your MSWindows box to your Unix
       box'es /etc/hosts
   ii) add the name and IP address of your Unix box to your MSWindows
       %SYSTEM%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file

Quote:>Finally, I have Oracle8i installed and a database up and running. The
>listener is running as well. I would like to connect simply from my
>windows Oracle sqlplus session to my Unix Oracle database. How do I set
>up a simple connection? Additionally, what would be the connect string?
>The Name of my Unix box is Alex. But as stated above, ftp only
>recognizes the IP address: What should be the connect string?

You got me. You probably should ask in one of the comp.os.ms-windows
newsgroups.

Quote:>Should I set up a domain and if so, then how do I do that?

It's up to you. You don't /need/ a domain on a private network, but things
work better with one. Or did you mean a /Windows DOMAIN/?

Quote:>I dont know how to resolve these issues?

>alex

>--

Information Technology Consultant, Enterprise Technology Solutions
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

settting up ftp on unix

Post by daveh.. » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 02:45:34

Quote:> Perhaps you should read the responses to your previous question about this,
> before you ask again.

Oh, damn, and I just wasted 5 minutes on trying to help, didn't know he'd
already been answered but was ignoring it.  Ah well.

Dave Hinz