Help needed on reclaiming unused IP addresses please

Help needed on reclaiming unused IP addresses please

Post by Robert Alexande » Wed, 18 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Because of the unexpected retirement of 3 colleagues,
I have "inherited" the DNS of the romesc.ibm.com domain
which comprises addresses from 9.87.1.xxx to 9.87.4.xxx

The machines used are mostly (but not all) RS6000 boxes
scattered throughout our 2000 employee locations.

As the addresses are almost all taken and there are no
obvious information on which machines or which persons own
the addresses, I am puzzled on how to clean up the mess
and try reclaiming most of the addresses which are not in
use anymore.

Are there tools/techniques to help me out (I would like to
avoid being the fourth retiree, at least for a few years).

Thank you for any input. Bob Alexander
--
Robert Alexander - IBM Italy
To reply directly, please bear with me, and remove the IHateSpam part

1. Help: Need to reclaim system memory not needed

   Note crossposting and followups; this really isn't a programming
question.

$For example how can we get rid of the overhead used by the licensing manager?

   By shutting down the machine.  There's no other workable solution;
without the license manager, you have no licenses and can't use the
system, basically.

   There are very few, if any, of the programs you show which can
be removed.  Running X eats a ton of memory; if you need it, you
need it, but if you don't, then turn it off.

Manager, Technical Services                     United System Solutions Inc.
104 Carnforth Road, Toronto, ON, Canada M4A 2K7          (416) 750-7946 x251

2. PMfirewall vs Firestarter...a poll....

3. Sun Worshop GUI to a remote server

4. How to reclaim unused blocks

5. Redhat 5.1 doesnt recognize my SMC ultra ..

6. Linux server taking unused (and used) IP addresses

7. Betting on Unix

8. ipfw/dns from unused local ip address

9. Detecting unused IP addresses in a subnet using ping?

10. IP addressing question... Please help (detailed Q)???

11. sendmail and dynamically allocated IP address, help please

12. Changing IP address- help please