Setting sendmail "From:" field on a per user basis?

Setting sendmail "From:" field on a per user basis?

Post by Rob Browni » Tue, 30 May 1995 04:00:00

I hope this is a reasonable question for this newsgroup.

I've been looking over the sendmail docs, the TCP/IP Network
Admin book, and others, and I can't quite seem to come up with
a good solution for my problem, but it seems like it might
be common enough so that others have had to deal with it.

I connect to the University here via a ppp link, and I'm
assigned a dynamic address.  I'm running a BSD 4.3 unix on
my side, and I want users on my system to be able to use
news and mail.  The problem is that a user (including myself)
will not want replies to their mail to be sent to my
machine since it's address changes every time I connect.

For example, when I connect, my machine will be assigned
something like slip-3-2.ots.utexas.edu, but I want my mail
to look like it came from cs.utexas.edu, and another user
needs their mail to look like it came from mail.utexas.edu.

I have heard of the Reply-To: header, but do all other
programs respect that?  Also, if I fix sendmail, what happens
to programs like GNUS, it will still use `gethostbyname`
won't it?  I know that GNUS also has a variable to set
Reply-To, but I was hoping for some kind of systemwide
solution.

Anyway, is there any standard way of handling this problem?

Also, is there a program that will use POP or IMAP to
retrieve mail from a server and deposit it in a user's
account (mailbox file)?

Thanks, and if there's a FAQ for this, or somewhere else
I should be looking, please let me know.

--Rob.

1. USING SENDMAIL "user@domain.com" vs. "user@host.domain.com"

I am currently running ESMTP Sendmail 8.8.7/8.8.7.

With my current configuration in order for sendmail to file incoming
messages to the correct mailbox the message must be sent to

How do I set up sendmail  to receive e-mail messages that where sent to

For example:
Right now to e-mail me you could send the message to

I do currently have an MX resource record in my DNS that sets the linux01
host to be the mail exchanger for the pcscs domain.

thanks in advance

Charles Wilkins

2. test linux kernel

3. NCSA 1.3 "User" and "Group" fields being ignored ... help ?

4. what is misc binary?

6. Lazy loading.

7. Trying to set "from" field using mail and/or sendmail - can't?

8. Redhat, Progress & Libcrypt

9. Setting ToS fields on a per application basis

11. setting a "cookie" with the "valid-user" option...

12. Kmail - Difference "Date" & "Order of Arrival" field

13. Unix/linux "installation user" vs MS Windows "installation user".