sendail having problems resolving mx records? (2nd posting)

sendail having problems resolving mx records? (2nd posting)

Post by Diane Hamilt » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hi,  I just posted this same question to the sendmail list.  Did you get
any answers?  If so, would you share them with me.  If not, let me know
and I will send you whatever I get.  I just installed email and was in the
process of giving people access when I found out that there are certain
addresses that won't resolve.  I was assuming that it was sites that had
their own dns on site.  The first one I was aware of was tcnj.edu, their
mail server is beast but when sent from our site it bounces back host
unknown unless you put the beast in.  I have a courtesy internet account
with our provider (we have a t-1 line to isp) and when I send mail from
there to tcnj.edu, it goes thru and resoves to beast.tcnj.edu.  They use
the same dns so I don't understand.  We also cannot get thru to aol and
tonight I found out we are getting a 441 from hotmail, connection refused.

TIA
:
: [Ultra 1 Solaris 2.5]
:
: I didn't see my initial post so I'm trying again.
:
: For reasons unknown to me, my mail server has just lost the
: ability to find hosts which don't resolve directly to an IP addr.
:
: e.g.
:
: aphrodite:~$ host fruitfly.berkeley.edu
: fruitfly.berkeley.edu has address 128.32.173.212
: aphrodite:~$
:
: Mail to fruitfly goes just fine where as:
:
: aphrodite:~$ host aol.com
: aol.com mail is handled by c.mx.aol.com
: aol.com mail is handled by d.mx.aol.com
: aol.com mail is handled by e.mx.aol.com
: aol.com mail is handled by f.mx.aol.com
: aol.com mail is handled by a.mx.aol.com
: aol.com mail is handled by b.mx.aol.com
: aphrodite:~$
:
: mail to aol.com won't.  Messages are bounced back "host not found".
: This pattern is repeated consistantly.
:
: This is Sendmail SMI-8.6/SMI-SVR4, by the way.
:
: I suspect this is more of a DNS issue than a Sendmail one - but I'm
: really just baffled at present.
:
: Thanks -
:
: -fil
: Fil Krohnengold                                               212/769-5294

: