HTTPS Daemon Question

Post by Stephen H. Kapi » Thu, 04 Nov 1999 04:00:00

My problem has been with getting http and https running at the same
time.  I thought that installing :80 and :443 for each virtual host
would do it. But it isn't working.

An ISP I know is running two Apache daemons. One for port 80 and the
https daemon for port 443.  I'm sure this would work for me. Is this how
it's supposed to be done?

I'm running freebsd/mod-ssl on an Intel system.

Thanks.

Stephen

HTTPS Daemon Question

Post by Brent Duckwort » Fri, 05 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> My problem has been with getting http and https running at the same
> time.  I thought that installing :80 and :443 for each virtual host
> would do it. But it isn't working.

> An ISP I know is running two Apache daemons. One for port 80 and the
> https daemon for port 443.  I'm sure this would work for me. Is this
how
> it's supposed to be done?

> I'm running freebsd/mod-ssl on an Intel system.

> Thanks.

> Stephen

I am running Apache on both 80 and 443 for all my virtual hosts, however
I only have one instance of Apache running (httpsd). I set that up by
having two virtual host containers per web site: a <VirtualHost
1.2.3.4:80> container for normal http, then a <VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:443>
container for secure http. This container holds all the normal
directives for a virtual host, but also all the SSL specific directives.
Hope this helps.

Brent

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

HTTPS Daemon Question

Post by Chris J. Mutte » Mon, 08 Nov 1999 04:00:00

|> My problem has been with getting http and https running at the same
|> time.  I thought that installing :80 and :443 for each virtual host
|> would do it. But it isn't working.
|>
|> An ISP I know is running two Apache daemons. One for port 80 and the
|> https daemon for port 443.  I'm sure this would work for me. Is this
| how
|> it's supposed to be done?
|>
|> I'm running freebsd/mod-ssl on an Intel system.

there is tons of info on the apache/apacheSSL website about this topic.
what I learned when I wanted to switch on the second secure v-host was
that someone needs a alias-interface with a new IP for a https-V-host.
(cause of server-certs). so be sure you have IP addresses available when
you want to run more than 1 https-instance.

later,
cjm
--
** PGP-Key-ID: 0x975B2F19 - CJM17(-RIPE),SIL-MNT     http://www.enemy.org
** "Hey, God! What's with the 'thou shalt not kill' in RFC6?"  --Moses

1. NCSA http daemon question?

The NCSA people strong advise against starting httpd from
inetd. It will slow things way down. You should start it
as a standalone daemon.

The problme is that if you run it from inetd it must read
its configuration files and set up its environment for
every connection.

Running standalone it need only do this once and then it
forks to respond to requests.

Don't do it. The httpd process takes up very little
memory and cpu when it is sitting around waiting for
connections.

good luck,

Chris

--

2. Linux 2.4.68-ce1

3. HTTPS - Daemon Question

4. N E T S C A P E F O R T E R M !!!!!!

5. NCSA http daemon question?

6. PPP -- defaultroute not working.

7. HTTP/1.0 vs HTTP/1.1 question

8. Endian swapper

9. Apache Proxy question: HTTP/1.1 -> HTTP/1.0

10. apache http proxy - http/1.0 vs http/1.1

11. caching HTTP daemon?

12. http daemon for SCO?

13. HTTP daemon