Relative speed of Suns

Post by Pat Colem » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 03:16:21

We have a process on a SPRAC 10 Model 51 that reads in data through a
socket connection from another SPARC 10.  It does some processing of
the data and writes it to disk.  The system reading the data is not
able to keep up.  We turned off the writing to disk and this helped
but it's the processing of the data that is slowing us down.  My
question is how much of an increase would I see if we put a SPARC 20
Model 61 in place of the 10?  If we got a SPARC 20 Model 612 do you
have to write your code to use the other process or are some things
automatically spread over the two processors?

Thanks,
Patrick Coleman

Relative speed of Suns

Post by Bruce W. Grah » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 05:41:26

: We have a process on a SPRAC 10 Model 51 that reads in data through a
: socket connection from another SPARC 10.  It does some processing of
: the data and writes it to disk.  The system reading the data is not
: able to keep up.  We turned off the writing to disk and this helped
: but it's the processing of the data that is slowing us down.  My
: question is how much of an increase would I see if we put a SPARC 20
: Model 61 in place of the 10?  If we got a SPARC 20 Model 612 do you
: have to write your code to use the other process or are some things
: automatically spread over the two processors?

: Thanks,
: Patrick Coleman

there are surely more qualified people than me to answer this, but since they
haven't so far, i'll risk getting flamed for my response.

1)are you REALLY sure the bottleneck is the processing of the data on the
  receiving end of the socket? if so, sure, 10 more megahertz of processing
  speed will help some, but in my opinion, not enough to substantiate the
  cost of getting a 20-61. have you run 'sar' to verify that your cpu is
  being overused? have you run 'ps -efl' to see which processes are eating
  up your cpu time?
2)if you haven't already, it might be worth taking the time to run some
  management/diagnostic reports ,like sar, to make sure you're not having
  memory/paging/etc problems. read the manpage on it. have you also dismissed
  network controller card problems?
3)on the 20-612 question: it's my understanding that the system can be made
  to automatically distribute different THREADS to available processors
  without having to rewrite the code, so if your code is written with multiple
  threads already, you're probably ok.

i'm posting this to the group hoping maybe somebody other than just you will
get something useful from it, but if you want to, feel free to email me with
more specific info.

bruce graham

1. Benchmarks and relative speeds

I'm facing an odd problem.

I recently build a new machine based around an AMD recommended motherboard
and K6-2/500.  The strange thing is that with two identical Linux
installations this machine appears to be a little less than 20% faster
than my P160 machine (overclocked at 200).  The test here is setiathome
which is getting 99%-plus CPU time on both machines (according to top).
Watching the progress counts on the two machines side by side shows
that for every 10% completed on the old machine the new machine has
processed 11.7% or thereabouts.

What am I missing?  What do people recommend in the way of "proper"
benchmarks?  Can I log kernel stats and perform the equivalent of
sar reports on commercial platforms?

(I heard some rumblings about Linux not behaving well with more than
64Mb of RAM.  Since the new machine has 128Mb I wonder, is this a true
concern?)
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...

                                |  "Lieutenant Green:  Launch all Angels!"
http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk/raj/ (demon, and gods, willing...)

2. Boots off of Floppy, but not HD?

3. Relative "speed" of SPARC processors for accounting purposes

4. The magic of permissions...

5. Relative speed of Linuxes versus OS X

6. Oak 087B patch for SVGALIB?

7. Relative FTP speeds

8. Solaris 2 Porting FAQ

9. Speed..Speed..Speed

10. Sun I/O speeds under Solaris 2.X?

11. Sun Processor Speed

12. How can get cpu speed message on alpha /hp/sun/ibm box?

13. Speed of different Suns