Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

Post by denis filipet » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 03:06:50

Hi Everybody,

        I'm running ODT 1.1 and DOS 5 on a 486-33 with 16 Meg of
memory. What I am having trouble with is replacing my 2 200Meg IDE
disks with a 1 Gig SCSI Seagate drive. I have partitioned the disk
50/50 between DOS and ODT. The trouble occurs when I type "dos" to the
sco boot prompt, I get the response "dos: no dos partition". If I make
the DOS partition active DOS will boot like a champ.

        I had a similar setup with the 2 IDE drives, each one was
split between DOS and ODT. Booting DOS or ODT from the boot prompt
worked flawlessly.

        I have tried setting up the DOS partition first, as the SCO
docs say, and setting up the ODT partition first. All to no avail...

        BTW I am using CTAR and CT-BOOT from Microlite to do the
transfer of ODT from the old disks to the new disk. It worked great
when I had to replace one of the IDE drives a while back and I am
assuming it is not the cause of this problem.

        As a side note I can't say enough for CT-BOOT. It really takes
the hassle out of disaster recovery. SCO documentation leaves large
holes in this area. The folks at Microlite were knowledgeable and kind
enough to tell me how to reconfigure the kernel when changing boot
devices from IDE to SCSI. Which by the way works when I type "unix" at
the boot prompt.

Many thanks for any help,

Denis

Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

Post by Lawrence Kir » Sun, 23 Jan 1994 20:45:07

Quote:>Hi Everybody,

>        I'm running ODT 1.1 and DOS 5 on a 486-33 with 16 Meg of
>memory. What I am having trouble with is replacing my 2 200Meg IDE
>disks with a 1 Gig SCSI Seagate drive. I have partitioned the disk
>50/50 between DOS and ODT. The trouble occurs when I type "dos" to the
>sco boot prompt, I get the response "dos: no dos partition". If I make
>the DOS partition active DOS will boot like a champ.

This is probably becoase ODT 1.1 doesn't understand FAT16 DOS partitions.
Up to 32MB DOS uses the FAT12 format which is probably how you had your old
drive set up. The solution is either to make your primary DOS partition
32MB or less or use something like bootpa.sh to produce an alternative DOS
caller. I'll mail bootpa.sh to you.

Post by Carsten Schulz-K » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 00:54:30

|> Hi Everybody,
|>
|>   I'm running ODT 1.1 and DOS 5 on a 486-33 with 16 Meg of
|> memory. What I am having trouble with is replacing my 2 200Meg IDE
|> disks with a 1 Gig SCSI Seagate drive. I have partitioned the disk
|> 50/50 between DOS and ODT. The trouble occurs when I type "dos" to the
|> sco boot prompt, I get the response "dos: no dos partition". If I make
|> the DOS partition active DOS will boot like a champ.
[...]

Did you set the SCSI-ID of your disk to 1 or 0 ? MS-DOG requires this, but I'm
not sure if your bootmanager can fix this problem.

I  hope, that this will help you.
Carsten
|  ***  ***  *   *            |Carsten Schulz-Key                            |
| *     *    * *              |                                              |

Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

Post by Michael B Garrett -- Chud » Sat, 29 Jan 1994 08:17:54

ODT 1.1 will not recognize a DOS 5 partition- DOS 3.3 is the highest I've
seen work reliably, though anything vanilla below DOS 5 will usually boot.

Your best bet is to make a DOS 5 boot floppy and stop screwing around with
fdisk to change boot sequences.

I've got this same problem on my home machine- I need to just be able to
write to a DOS 5 disk from ODT 1.1 so I can clear off enough space to
install the 3.0 upgrade and my home box doesn't have a tape drive.

And I have a ton of DOS files on the UNIX partition taking up space. Argh.

Good luck with it,

'Shot

Get "dos: no dos partition" from boot prompt

Post by Lawrence Kir » Sun, 30 Jan 1994 04:35:48

Quote:>ODT 1.1 will not recognize a DOS 5 partition- DOS 3.3 is the highest I've
>seen work reliably, though anything vanilla below DOS 5 will usually boot.

The problem isn't the version of DOS, it's the type of filesystem it
creates. DOS 3.3 and below used a format (FAT 12) which could support a
filesystem size up to 32MB. DOS 4 introduced a new format (FAT 16) which
supports larger filesystems.

ODT 1.1 along with SCO Unix 3.2.2 and previous only understands the FAT 12
partition marker - it doesn't know that the FAT 16 marker indicates a DOS
partition.

DOS 4 and above will still generate a FAT 12 filesystem if it is small
enough so the DOS version is not the determining factor.

Quote:>Your best bet is to make a DOS 5 boot floppy and stop screwing around with
>fdisk to change boot sequences.

Better still get bootpart.sh which allows you to set up commands to start
any partition from the Boot: prompt (like using dos). Works for SCO Unix and
Xenix.

You can ftp it from ftp.demon.co.uk in directory /pub/unix/bootpart.

Quote:>I've got this same problem on my home machine- I need to just be able to
>write to a DOS 5 disk from ODT 1.1 so I can clear off enough space to
>install the 3.0 upgrade and my home box doesn't have a tape drive.

I believe GNU mtools will allow you to read/write primary DOS partitions
from Unix.

Post by Youri Podchos » Mon, 31 Jan 1994 04:26:50

Quote:> ODT 1.1 will not recognize a DOS 5 partition- ...

> I've got this same problem on my home machine- I need to just be able to
> write to a DOS 5 disk from ODT 1.1 ...

Sorry, but lemme disagree: I do transfers "MS DOS 5.0" <--> "SCO ODT 1.1"
daily and UNIX sees DOS active partition (at least those one on the first
hard disk) without any problem.  The point is the active DOS partition
size: my C: drive only houses MS Windows stuff and is as small as 31M.

But honestly speaking, all these considerations are rather useless when it
comes to any *meaningful* co-operation of DOS and UNIX in the sense of sharing
disk space :(

---
YNP

1. Uninstall Linux: Deleted "non dos partition" with DOS fdisk -- Now what?!?

I am trying to turn my DOS machine into an exclusively DOS machine again.
 But I am afraid I did things in the wrong order and I am stuck.

Background:
I had my hard drive divided into three partitions.  The first partition
held DOS, the second held Linux, the third was a swap area (for Linux).
I also had LILO doing the booting for me.

What I did:
I used the DOS fdisk program to delete my second and third partitions.  I
fear this was my error.

Where I am now:
The Linux side of the disk is trashed.  The system halts when I try to
boot with LILO.

When I try to boot with floppies, I get through the boot disk and most of
the root disk, but after I get the messages
"MINIX-fs: mounting unchecked file system, running fsck is recommended."
"VFS: Mounted root (minix filesystem)."
the system hangs.

My plan was to get linux up again and delete those partitions (and
LILO) from the Linux side like I should have done in the first place.

What I have tried:
The DOS fdisk program will not delete the non DOS partitions.  When I
delete them they appear to have been deleted, but upon running fdisk
(dos) again they are back.

What I need:
I need to get the second half of my hard disk back.  I would also like to
get LILO out of my boot area.

I do not have a Linux machine available to me at the time.  I do have the
infomagic 3 CD developers set.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  Let me also say that I am aware I did
things in the wrong order, so you can save space by leaving out the three
paragraphs about what I should have done in the first place.

Thanks very much.  Alex.

2. One-liner for assigning variables

3. how to create "DOS-like prompt" at shell prompt

4. ftpd question

5. Problem "mv"ing to DOS partition, "cp" is ok....

6. Process Status Monitoring Tool

7. m$ "lost" the source code for W95, DOS, Q-DOS ?

8. Anyone know how to use /bin/cu???

9. How to prevent users from doing "replyall" to "allusers" alias

11. Getting rid of "F?" prompt on system boot?

12. Computer gets stuck at boot up, only "LI" of the LILO prompt shows

13. Computer gets stuck at boot up, only "LI" of the LILO prompt shows up