FTP

Post by a.. » Sun, 27 Nov 1994 00:21:31

Sorry, but I am a UNIX novice (VMS is my thing), and I need to do check a
couple of things, one being, how can I tell if I have an anonymous ftp account
available, and if so, 'where' it is.

Thanx

                                                    - Rich -
                                                    T. M. O. D.
                                                    President
                                                    The Pokes

FTP

Post by Bill Marc » Sun, 27 Nov 1994 09:34:46

>Sorry, but I am a UNIX novice (VMS is my thing), and I need to do check a
>couple of things, one being, how can I tell if I have an anonymous ftp account
>available, and if so, 'where' it is.

I'm not familiar with VMS; does it require a special account to do ftp?
On most Unix systems you just type "ftp name.of.site", then "anonymous"
as the user name and your email address as the password.  If you have
files that you want to make available to others by ftp, ask your system
administrators for advice.

--

"Eye of newt, spleen of censor..."

1. Solaris ftp v Pro-ftp v WU-ftp

One-year newbie Solaris admin here. (And four yrs Linux experience extra,
does
that count extra credit?)

Management thinks they want an internet ftp server for the company.
Whatever,
they're mgt, and 'I serve at their pleasure'.. and paycheck. My questions:

1). why use a package like ProFTP or WU-ftp, instead of Solaris 2.6 ftp,
which
seems to me easy enough to use and cfg? (I'd ask them why, but that'd be
interpreted
as 'a bad thing'.)
2). which FTP is 'better'? I've heard of WU-ftp security holes, but am not
familiar
with Pro-FTP problems.
3). is there a better way to go?

I'm guessing this is for external customer browser convenience, which will
make me
RTFMs soon enough, yet any other comments, suggestions, or insights would be
appreciated. Thank you.

-fgz
(name alias and bogus email adrs to protect the guilty.)

2. Changing Domain Name

3. FTP: New Linux FTP site: ftp.kernel.org

4. please help if you can!!!!!!!

5. Secure ftp, ftp over stunnel og ftp-ssl.

6. Compiling gcc2.7.0: "as: unrecognized option `-Qy'"

7. How to connect to an FTP through an FTP-Proxy.

8. HACMP PRACTICE TEST QUESTION

9. Can't ftp to Linux box from windows ftp client

10. make a character device /dev/ftp that do ftp

11. Problems with FTP (wu.ftp) HELP!

12. FTP: Looking for source code for FTP client program

13. how do I use the cern ftp proxy with non web ftp clients?