PC disks on HPUX systems?

Post by Jim Washbroo » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:56:12

I apologize if this has been posted too many times by people like me trying
to save a a few bucks.
The question is, can I use a PC scsi disk in a HPUX system like a 712 or a
A180? I have heard that the firmware is slightly different because Microsoft
doesn't correctly adhere to the scsi standard but it only affects data
integrity on a powerfail.
Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
Jim

PC disks on HPUX systems?

Post by Timothy J. L » Thu, 15 Feb 2001 15:33:42

>The question is, can I use a PC scsi disk in a HPUX system like a 712 or a
>A180? I have heard that the firmware is slightly different because Microsoft
>doesn't correctly adhere to the scsi standard but it only affects data
>integrity on a powerfail.

Some HP 7xx computers used differential SCSI disks when most computers
of the time used non-differential SCSI disks.  Be sure to get the correct
kind of SCSI disk.

Timothy J. Lee

PC disks on HPUX systems?

Post by Mario Stargar » Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:39:46

> I apologize if this has been posted too many times by people like me trying
> to save a a few bucks.
> The question is, can I use a PC scsi disk in a HPUX system like a 712 or a
> A180? I have heard that the firmware is slightly different because Microsoft
> doesn't correctly adhere to the scsi standard but it only affects data
> integrity on a powerfail.
> Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated.
> Jim

If it's the same kind of SCSI, then it'll work.  Mind you this'll affect
your HP support and you're ability to recover the system from the ISL>
prompt in some instances because the disk firmware is not "HP aware".

Mario

PC disks on HPUX systems?

Post by David Nix » Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:40:03

> > I apologize if this has been posted too many times by people like me trying
> > to save a a few bucks.
> > The question is, can I use a PC scsi disk in a HPUX system like a 712 or a
> If it's the same kind of SCSI, then it'll work.  Mind you this'll affect
> your HP support and you're ability to recover the system from the ISL>
> prompt in some instances because the disk firmware is not "HP aware".

 I found that COPYUTIL (HP-UX 10 offline recovery utility) refers to a
list of recognised disc and tape drives when scanning the hardware.
This list grew a bit with the 10.20 version of COPYUTIL:  I
could then backup a recovery image of a 2GB HP C2490A-300 system disc.

 Some say that the "300" suffix means a PC version of a drive
mech. that HP might also use; with different firmware, on UX systems.
Have used Seagate ST31055N drives on various 700 series models without
problems - apart from COPYUTIL drive recognition.

DaveN.