Diskless Indigo2

Post by Kyle Key » Tue, 25 Sep 2001 10:55:33

I have stumbled into an Indigo2 running IRIX 6.5.  The disk is shotty
so, I copied evrything to a blank drive via NFS onto my AlphaLinux
machine.  I was trying to reowrk everything so I could just use the hard
disk install as a diskless setup.  Is this possible?  So far, I've
managed to get bootp and tftp to download and load the kernel.  The
Indigo then successfully requests the shares
"root,swap,sbin,usr,var_share"

I restructured the filesystem so that I have a main directory
"hostname"  and under this I have root, swap, sbin, usr, and the share
directory from under what use to be /var on the local disk.  These are
shared independently via NFS and the indigo is directed to them via
bootparamd.  After all this is done I get the following message:

PANIC: KERNEL FAULT
PC: 0x88210d7c ep: 0x885f4bf8
EXC code:20, `Write Address Error '
Bad addr: 0x1b, cause: 0x14<CE=-2010193168
[Press reset to restart the machine.]

If anybody knows how to proceed from here, if this is even possible, I'd
appreciate the hints.

Thanks,

Kyle Keys

1. Diskless or nearly diskless Linux?

Is it possible to configure Linux such that is uses little to no local
hard disk space?  I'd like to run it on a couple of systems, but I don't
have the disk space to spare.  I have one system set up with everything on it
along with large disks, tapes, etc.  I'd like to run two other machines.  One
a 486 with an ethernet card, and the other a 486 notebook connected via
a parallel port cable.  How can I run Linux for occasion use on these last
two systems with the least aount of disk space necessary?

Thanks,
Todd

2. Linux Tech Support Job Offering

3. Diskless Workstation from(Diskless X Server: a how to guide)

4. access to I/O port 0x3350

5. Diskless Linux X-Terminal (Was: Re: Diskless Linux machines)

6. ANNOUNCE: Subroute for Solaris

7. Indigo2 High Impact -- What the?

8. kernel panic; /dev/fd0

9. Problems installing xrn on SGI indigo2

10. sgimips black screen on Indigo2 R4400/250

11. Restart failure: Indigo2(IRIX6.2)

12. FS: SGI Indigo2, 200Mhz, Extreme Graphics

13. Which SGI is better for Poweranimator V8.0 -=- O2 or INDIGO2