What's greatest possible distance between NFS server and client?

What's greatest possible distance between NFS server and client?

Post by Kevin B. Weinri » Sat, 01 May 1993 00:34:06

How far have you successfully maintained an NFS-mount of a directory
hierarchy from one machine to another over the Internet?  I thought I heard
rumors of somebody mounting an American disk in England, or some such.

What is the lag-time between packets when you begin to have problems with
such a thing?  Would there be a difference between PC-NFS and NFS on a UNIX
workstation?

How slow a connection is the slowest someone has maintained an NFS link for
long periods (e.g., 8am - 5pm)?  Won't NFS re-connect itself if it looses
connection for a while?

Thanks for your experiences.
--
Kevin Weinrich     Computer Sciences Corp.

What's greatest possible distance between NFS server and client?

Post by Andy Bolt » Sat, 08 May 1993 18:48:55

I've mounted a disk in Palo Alto across our portion of the internet (firewalled)
without too many problems. It is VERY SLLLOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW ! Also Sun apps such
as File Manager get a bit upset with the delay, but it is usable. It will
automatically reconnect when the net is slow.

Cheers,

Andy.
---

#include <std/disclaimer> 'Opinions are mine, not my Employers'
cat flames >/dev/null ; rsh -e 'init 6'

                                        |       ENGLAND
________________________________________L_______________________________________

Immorality: The morality of those who are having a better time.
H.L.Mencken.

1. Down 'Solaris' NFS Server hangs 'Solaris' Client

    I have a mix of Solaris 2.5.1 boxes and IRIX 5.2,5.3 & 6.2 boxes on my
    network.  When a Solaris NFS server goes down, my other Solaris clients
    hang on new logins waiting for the server to come backup up, BUT the
    IRIX boxes let users login with no problems.

    The Solaris and Irix boxes mount using the following options.

          vers=2,intr,bg

    We played with the automount program, but Solaris clients still hang.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

   -----------
   David Hiltz

   Unix System and Network Administrator
   Northeast Fisheries Science Center

2. Kiss of Death

3. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

4. Do you use /usr/contrib, or only /usr/local?

5. NFS client can't see server's files

6. How to send output to an Xterm window

7. 'users' in /etc/group causing telnet problem for NFS server/clients

8. C-NET ethernet card help please!

9. PopTop VPN Server can see Win98 client but client can't see server

10. nfs, client side mounting error, no perm's from server

11. NFS puzzles (e.g. when client and server times don't match?)

12. NFS: Does client have to be in server's hosts file?

13. Solaris NFS client -> Linux server: `file: is a directory' errors