Partition size

Post by Pat Colem » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 22:52:19

Is there an upper limit to the size of a partition?  Also is
it the same on 4.1.3 and Sol 2.3?

Thanks.

Patrick

Partition size

Post by Casper H.S. D » Sat, 29 Oct 1994 23:20:53

>Is there an upper limit to the size of a partition?  Also is
>it the same on 4.1.3 and Sol 2.3?

All systems have an upperlimit on the size of a partition.
Those limits differ from OS to OS.

        SunOS 4.1.x: 2GB
        Solaris 2.x: 1TB

Casper

Partition size

Post by Syed Zaeem Hosa » Fri, 04 Nov 1994 02:57:32

Quote:>Is there an upper limit to the size of a partition?  Also is
>it the same on 4.1.3 and Sol 2.3?

In SunOS 4.1.3, the partition size limit is 2GB. You can combine
partitions with Sun's OnLine Disk Suite program to get larger single
file-systems though (that effectively acts as if you had a single
larger partition in essence).

In Solaris 2.3, the partition size limit is much higher - I forget the
exact number, but I think it is 1TeraByte. Basically, the same value as
what OnLine DiskSuite does for SunOS 4.1.3.

| Syed Zaeem Hosain          P. O. Box 610097            (408) 441-7021 |

1. Mount size wrong with Partition size.

I am new at Solaris, and I think I am doing something completley wrong.
Anyway, I am trying to install Oracle 8, and I need to mount the /U01
/U02 /U03 and /U04 volumes.  There currently is an empty extra drive
/c0t8d0 that is 9GB.  I went under the format utility and set unassigned
partitions at 2GB each.  when I go to mount them, they only are 124MB
each.  I tried changing the partition size to even 50MB, but still when
I mounted it only came to 124MB.

I have no clue whats going on. I mount them as a ufs file system.  I
just started working with Solaris 2 months ago and I am fairly new to
the Unix environment.  I am either mounting the partitions wrong, or
missing a step somewhere.  The command line I use to mount is:
mount -F ufs /dev/dsk/c0t8d0s4 /u01

Thanks in advance.
-kris

2. XFree and Mach64

3. Maximum partition size/SCSI drive size

4. More help with Neomagic sound

5. Largest file size and partition size limits on Solaris 2.X?

6. http server port question

7. Partition size - ext2 filesystem size.

8. Starting FTP on a mklinux machine

9. linux partition sizes/partitioning scheme?

10. fdisk and cfdisk giving incorrect partition size information

11. Partition Sizes...

12. swap partition size

13. optimal partition size