password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by Grego » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am trying to assign a new user on the system.

I have updated a /etc/passwd file by adding line

greg::106:100:User greg:/home/greg:/sbin/sh

Now I am trying to set up a password by :

passwd greg

What I get is :

passwd(SYSTEM) greg does not exist
Permission denied
Gregory.

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by Justin Doss » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

What flavor of Unix are you using?  You might get errors like the ones you
see with Solaris and NIS+ with the automounter running, or any equivalent.

did enter unto the VDT:

--
######## Justin Dossey ############ http://zero.ou.edu/~dossey #########
######## SysAdmin, Univ. of Oklahoma Dept. of Computer Science #########

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>I am trying to assign a new user on the system.
>I have updated a /etc/passwd file by adding line
>greg::106:100:User greg:/home/greg:/sbin/sh

Run pwconv first.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to assign a new user on the system.

> I have updated a /etc/passwd file by adding line

> greg::106:100:User greg:/home/greg:/sbin/sh

> Now I am trying to set up a password by :

> passwd greg

> What I get is :

> passwd(SYSTEM) greg does not exist
> Permission denied
> Gregory.

        It depends upon what flavor of UNIX you are running and what else
is running.  If you are running NIS, perhaps you forgot to push the
maps after you edited the "/etc/passwd" file.  If you are running
Digital UNIX and using the hashed password database, you will have
to run "mkpasswd -f /etc/passwd" (I think you need the "-f" but
check the "man" page to make sure) to have it update the hashed
database.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.

Post by Vinicio Gonzale » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am trying to assign a new user on the system.

> I have updated a /etc/passwd file by adding line

> greg::106:100:User greg:/home/greg:/sbin/sh

> Now I am trying to set up a password by :

> passwd greg

> What I get is :

> passwd(SYSTEM) greg does not exist
> Permission denied
> Gregory.

  If you are using Solaris you have to create the user width
    useradd <user-login>
  and then
   passwd <user-login>

The useradd command has a lot of options (base directory, etc)

Vini

Post by voi » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> passwd(SYSTEM) greg does not exist
>> Permission denied
>> Gregory.

Looks like Solaris, at least, it looks like an error Solaris spat at me
the other day.  It turned out that I had forgotten to terminate the passwd
entry with a newline (gotta love vi).

Also make sure that you added the user to /etc/shadow as well.

Quote:>    It depends upon what flavor of UNIX you are running and what else
>is running.

Hmm, for all your ranting about how much Solaris sucks, I wonder if you've
used it?  I've been a Solaris admin for all of a week and I recognized
this.

--

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >> passwd(SYSTEM) greg does not exist
> >> Permission denied
> >> Gregory.

> Looks like Solaris, at least, it looks like an error Solaris spat at me
> the other day.  It turned out that I had forgotten to terminate the passwd
> entry with a newline (gotta love vi).

> Also make sure that you added the user to /etc/shadow as well.
> >       It depends upon what flavor of UNIX you are running and what else
> >is running.
> Hmm, for all your ranting about how much Solaris sucks, I wonder if you've
> used it?  I've been a Solaris admin for all of a week and I recognized
> this.

        Unfortunately I've been forced to use SOLARIS for years. :-(

        Perhaps when you've used SOLARIS for more than "a week", you'll
figure out that there is this thing called "admintool" you can use
to add users and avoid those kind of typos.

                        Hope this helps,
                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD      *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
**********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"
http://members.home.net/oldno7

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by voi » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>    Perhaps when you've used SOLARIS for more than "a week", you'll
>figure out that there is this thing called "admintool" you can use
>to add users and avoid those kind of typos.

I prefer to edit config files directly wherever possible, then I only need
to know one way of doing things, whether the system's in trouble or not.
Going through a GUI means I'd have to remember the GUI way and the
command-line way when the GUI's not up -- and it's easy to forget such
things when you don't use them much.

Seems like you'd rather be an NT admin than a unix admin, from just about
everything you've posted here.  You have an irrational fear of the
non-commercial, you shun the command-line -- maybe you should go into
management?

--

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >       Perhaps when you've used SOLARIS for more than "a week", you'll
> >figure out that there is this thing called "admintool" you can use
> >to add users and avoid those kind of typos.
> I prefer to edit config files directly wherever possible, then I only need
> to know one way of doing things, whether the system's in trouble or not.
> Going through a GUI means I'd have to remember the GUI way and the
> command-line way when the GUI's not up -- and it's easy to forget such
> things when you don't use them much.

> Seems like you'd rather be an NT admin than a unix admin, from just about
> everything you've posted here.  You have an irrational fear of the
> non-commercial, you shun the command-line -- maybe you should go into
> management?

        I don't "shun the command-line" at all.  I merely don't "shun" the
GUI.  Perhaps you shouldn't be so afraid of the GUI yourself.  It
might keep you from making mistakes like forgetting to terminate the
line in the "/etc/passwd" file.  What happens when you have to
administer something other than SOLARIS and the names syntax of many
of the config files are different?  If you only know "one way of
doing things", you're going to be in trouble.  If "the GUI's not
up", you've got more important things to do than add accounts. :-)

                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD      *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
**********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"
http://members.home.net/oldno7

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by voi » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>    I don't "shun the command-line" at all.  I merely don't "shun" the
>GUI.  Perhaps you shouldn't be so afraid of the GUI yourself.  It
>might keep you from making mistakes like forgetting to terminate the
>line in the "/etc/passwd" file.

That mistake cost me 30 seconds and familiarized me with passwd(1)'s error
message.  It was worth it.

Quote:>What happens when you have to administer something other than SOLARIS and
>the names syntax of many of the config files are different?

Well gee, I'd just have to learn how to administer that system.  In fact,
I have administered a couple of other unix flavors, and they were fine
once I learned the ropes.  One of them was NeXTStep, which stores
everything in a binary-format database, and I gave up and used the GUI.
When something went seriously wrong and I couldn't get the GUI to boot, I
had to be bailed out by someone who knew where the actual files were
stored in the filesystem.  I was damned lucky to be able to find such a
person who was generous enough to talk me through it.

Quote:>If you only know "one way of doing things", you're going to be in
>trouble.

It hasn't happened yet.  Whereas an acquaintance had a hell of a time
doing some simple task over the network with no X on an Irix machine.
Why?  The man pages had no information on it, the admin was expected to
use the GUI.

Quote:>If "the GUI's not up", you've got more important things to do than add
>accounts. :-)

That's right, but whatever I'm doing, I'd better know how it's done
without some GUI program to hide the complexity.

--

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Thu, 17 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >       I don't "shun the command-line" at all.  I merely don't "shun" the
> >GUI.  Perhaps you shouldn't be so afraid of the GUI yourself.  It
> >might keep you from making mistakes like forgetting to terminate the
> >line in the "/etc/passwd" file.
> That mistake cost me 30 seconds and familiarized me with passwd(1)'s error
> message.  It was worth it.

        Hmmm... it's funny now it's OK to waste "30 seconds" messing up the
"/etc/passwd" file but somehow not OK to waste 'all that extra time'
it takes for the GUI to load?  Curious...

Quote:> >What happens when you have to administer something other than SOLARIS and
> >the names syntax of many of the config files are different?
> Well gee, I'd just have to learn how to administer that system.

        Fine, if you've got the time.

Quote:>  In fact,
> I have administered a couple of other unix flavors, and they were fine
> once I learned the ropes.  One of them was NeXTStep, which stores
> everything in a binary-format database, and I gave up and used the GUI.
> When something went seriously wrong and I couldn't get the GUI to boot, I
> had to be bailed out by someone who knew where the actual files were
> stored in the filesystem.  I was damned lucky to be able to find such a
> person who was generous enough to talk me through it.

        You can't always count on luck.

Quote:> >If you only know "one way of doing things", you're going to be in
> >trouble.
> It hasn't happened yet.  Whereas an acquaintance had a hell of a time
> doing some simple task over the network with no X on an Irix machine.
> Why?  The man pages had no information on it, the admin was expected to
> use the GUI.
> >If "the GUI's not up", you've got more important things to do than add
> >accounts. :-)
> That's right, but whatever I'm doing, I'd better know how it's done
> without some GUI program to hide the complexity.

        Why are you under the impression that using the GUI somehow sucks
that information right out of your head?

                              Don

--
**********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald  *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD      *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
**********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"
http://members.home.net/oldno7

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> admintools are a BAD thing to run. You really a *ing * by the way
> for supporting the death penalty in Mumia Abu Jamals case.

        The just Death Penalty is the only appropriate and morally right
punishment for proven and confessed cop killer Wesley "I shot the
muther*er and I hope he dies" Cook (criminal alias: Mumia).

Quote:> * YOU!

        Typical SUN user.  :-(

Quote:> If you
> have been using Solaris for years you should know the basics such as how to
> add users without using GUI tools.

        I know how to add them without using the GUI.  Why would I want to
bother?

Quote:> You suck!

        No, Monica sucks.

                        Yours in Christ,
                              Don

--
http://www.veryComputer.com/

password does not allow add a password for a new user with a Permission denied

Post by voi » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Get this *out of this group!  Jed, I agree with you, but not here!
Sheesh.

--

 Ben

"You have your mind on computers, it seems."

1. Red Hat will not allow password changes or new accounts to be added

I have a Red Hat machine that has been running for over a year.  I
tried to change the password for a user yesterday and create a new
account for a new user and it would not allow me to do either.
The error messages were:
when changin password:
Authentication token manipulation error
when adding user:
unable to lock password file

I was able to add accounts and change passwords for users about a
month ago and had no problems.

this one has me really stumped and I need to be able to change
passwords as soon as possible.  The user changed their password and
can't remember it.

Thanks in advance.

2. control+break

3. scoadmin -> Account Manager -> Users -> Add New Users breaks /etc/password symlink

4. uninstalling squid

5. Can't set root password- Password busy error -is not due to temp password file

6. How do a shell execute some program?

7. Bad stuff happening; can't add new users, change passwords, etc

8. KDE - X locked in start loop - Help!

9. Inconsistent Password Files error when adding new user

10. /etc/shadow passwords not encrypted after new user creation

11. Password CGI: Add links within a password protected area

12. How to allow all users to have read/write permissions to DOS drives/partitions under Linux?

13. User doing rm /var/mail/<username> permission denied