Suggestion for Systems Admin Textbook needed

Suggestion for Systems Admin Textbook needed

Post by Chris Covingt » Fri, 24 Feb 1995 06:50:14

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good class textbook on System
Administration as I plan to be part of a directed study at the Univerity
of Minnesota, Morris.  Textbook should cover (among other things) problems
of system administration, and conceptual ideas.  ANY recommendations would
be appreciated as my professor would like me to find one soon, to let me
have a directed study.  Thank You.

-Chris Covington

Post by Michael Rogero Brown (Sys Adm » Sun, 26 Feb 1995 03:09:20

: I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good class textbook on System
: Administration as I plan to be part of a directed study at the Univerity
: of Minnesota, Morris.  Textbook should cover (among other things) problems
: of system administration, and conceptual ideas.  ANY recommendations would
: be appreciated as my professor would like me to find one soon, to let me
: have a directed study.  Thank You.

*THE* book on Unix System Administration is _Unix System Administration
Handbook_ 2nd ed by Nemeth, Snyder, Seebass, & Hein, which just came out
from Prentice-Hall.  It covers most major Unix versions (Solaris, HP-UX,
OSF/1, SunOS, Irix, and BSDI.  The only major versions not covered are
AIX, SCO Unix, and Linux, and these are left out mainly because their
differences would take too much space to cover (according to the authors).

It covers all the topics you'd probably need, and can be suplemented by other
works.

--
----------All Opinions Expressed are MINE, not IBM's--------------
Michael Rogero Brown       (uK Development System Administrator)

If you think I speak for IBM, then I've got some swamp land^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
real estate to sell you.

Post by Pat Wils » Sat, 25 Feb 1995 23:47:26

>I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good class textbook on System
>Administration as I plan to be part of a directed study at the Univerity
>of Minnesota, Morris.  Textbook should cover (among other things) problems
>of system administration, and conceptual ideas.  ANY recommendations would
>be appreciated as my professor would like me to find one soon, to let me
>have a directed study.  Thank You.
>-Chris Covington

There's the classic: _Unix System Administration Handbook_ by
Nemeth, et al (now in 2nd edition), published by Prentice Hall.
I'd also highly recommend _Essential System Administration_, by
Aeleen Frisch (published by O'Reilly&Associates).

Of course, systems administration is more an art (requiring practice)
than a science (which you can learn from books) - you might check into
getting Linux (a freely available in source Unix-like OS) and working
with that.  O'Reilly has just released books on that (_Running Linux_
and _The Linux Network Administrator's Guide_), and there are
newsgroups and publications (the one I know of is the monthly
"Linux Journal") for Linux-types.

--
Pat Wilson