405 Errors on POST's to CGI's

Post by r.. » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

While attempting to execute a CGI included with the cgic package, Apache errors
with an error code 405, and complains that the POST method is not supported
by the file /cgi-bin/cgictest. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked
everything I thought could cause this, but to no avail. I've even went so far as to
make the cgi 777, and to allow ExecCGI in all directories by default! Yet still,
it returns this error. It baffles me to no end!

Speaking of which, if I try to execute the two scripts which came with Apache,
lynx just displays the code and won't execute them.

This behaviour is so strange! I never noticed this before I upgraded to the latest
version of 11-07. Then again, I almost never use CGI's...I just have a sudden
need for them...

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please Cc: any replies to my e-mail address
as I seldom get the chance to check the newsgroups.

Thank you all for your time and help...

--josh

--
Josh Hope
"Of course I run NetBSD!" http://www.netbsd.org

                         http://unixgeek.ml.org

405 Errors on POST's to CGI's

Post by Marc Slemk » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>While attempting to execute a CGI included with the cgic package, Apache errors
>with an error code 405, and complains that the POST method is not supported
>by the file /cgi-bin/cgictest. I've checked, double checked, and triple checked
>everything I thought could cause this, but to no avail. I've even went so far as to
>make the cgi 777, and to allow ExecCGI in all directories by default! Yet still,
>it returns this error. It baffles me to no end!
>Speaking of which, if I try to execute the two scripts which came with Apache,
>lynx just displays the code and won't execute them.

That should be your first hint.  You probably do not have your
ScriptAlias setup properly.

1. error 405 when using POST

We are trying to use JSP pages that use the POST method for logging into our
app server.  These work without a problem on our windows machine (win2k w/
apache and tomcat).

I am now trying to setup a Linux Web Server.  RH6.2 with apache 1.3.14 and
tomcat 3.1

Whenever I open the page and try to log in, I get error 405 method not
allowed

I have commented out the <Limit> in my httpd.conf and this didn't help.
Do I need to chmod something.

I am not a programmer, so I was wondering if you can do a post to a jsp
page.  Someone told me it has to go to an executable.

TIA

Todd

2. mksysb generate error message?

3. Apache/CGI: $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} and POST

4. IDE-writer and Parallel-Zip

5. Http 405 Fehler Method not allowed (POST)

6. Duplex (Double page) printing on a HP 5Si MX

7. Apache 405 - Invalid method (POST)

8. "banned" on #openbsd

9. Internal Server Error for CGI named 'ls'

10. How to 'flush' output of 'C' cgi-program

11. Apache 405 script error

12. Post Install (Slack or ygg) First Boot 'EXT2 fs error ... ext2_find_entry...'

13. Apache Error 405