Apache Newbie (2 questions)

Post by dred » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:36:54

Hello

I am new to Linux and Apache, but want to learn them and set up and
Apache web server that can run PHP. I have two questions for anyone in
here that can help:

1) My current setup at home is an ADSL modem connected to a router,
with three (3) computer on the network (1 wireless). My connection
gives me one (1) IP Address. The way I understand things, my router
allows my three computers to share that one IP Address. Does an Apache
server require a dedicated IP Address? (ie, do I need to get another
IP Address for my new server?)

2) Is there a good step-by-step tutorial on the web available for the
newest version of Apache Web Server? It would be most helpful if the
tutorial was written from a perspective that the reader knows nothing
about Apache. If not, should I just buy a book about Apache?

Thanks to anyone that took the time to read this,

-dredge

Apache Newbie (2 questions)

Post by Andreas Paasc » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 02:58:51

> Hello

> I am new to Linux and Apache, but want to learn them and set up and
> Apache web server that can run PHP. I have two questions for anyone in
> here that can help:

> 1) My current setup at home is an ADSL modem connected to a router,
> with three (3) computer on the network (1 wireless). My connection
> gives me one (1) IP Address. The way I understand things, my router
> allows my three computers to share that one IP Address. Does an Apache
> server require a dedicated IP Address? (ie, do I need to get another
> IP Address for my new server?)

No, you don't. Just route your incoming traffic on port 80 to the internal
IP address of the machine that will host the webserver, i.e. 192.168.1.4
If you want to run several real domains, use virtualhosts, well supported by
Apache.

Quote:

> 2) Is there a good step-by-step tutorial on the web available for the
> newest version of Apache Web Server? It would be most helpful if the
> tutorial was written from a perspective that the reader knows nothing
> about Apache. If not, should I just buy a book about Apache?

There are plenty of tutorials out there.
For setting up apache, mysql and php, www.mysql.com has a very good article
about that.
So does php.net have.
So does apache.org have.
And on www.google.com you might find plenty of info while searching for
"apache installation"

HTH,

/Andreas

--
Registeret Linux user #292411

1. apache newbie - simple question about mod_proxy

Hi all,

We have a rather sophisticated cgi-based
portal stuff running fine on intranets.

All pages are generated "on the fly".
The application core (python code)
is a servlet-like http production routine
that runs either as mod_python handler
or as LRWP on a plain xitami
http server (no ssl).

Performance is great (thanx python) :)

Now we wish to offer https access on internet
on top of the plain http access in intranet.

Could we use apache mod_proxy functions to:
    - relay the content into the internet,
    - deliver https from the apache prxy
  (the intranet output is plain http).
    - act as an insulation layer.

The xitami intranet server is on nt.
We wish the apache to run on linux.
The proxy would run "nocache".

Is this archictecture workable?
Does is make sense? From a security pov?
From a performance pov?

I am a total newbie in the admin area.
Any feedback is welcome.

Francois

2. Can Linux share drive with Windows 95

3. Apache newbie - dumb question

4. sysck files for LPP's

5. newbie - apache 1.3 vs apache 2.0 questions

6. /etc/host.conf gives multi error with libc.4.4.4?

7. Apache newbie- question on redirect

8. Basic SysV Shared Memory Problem

9. Newbie question: Linux Apache proxy server errors

10. Newbie Question: Python and Apache

11. newbie apache-question

12. Apache Help - Newbie Question

13. Absolute Newbie Question - CGI & Apache