Apache - DSO with 3rd party modules

Post by Christof Poh » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi everybody!

I have got problems using Apache's DSO-feature with 3rd party modules.

The main task is to compile an Apache 1.3.3 with FrontPage- and PHP3-module.
Neither of the 2 modules will work as shared module, although I have tried
compiling Apache several times (for example with using only one of the two
modules) and followed the steps in Apache's README.configure and PHP's
INSTALL very closely. Building both modules within the httpd-binary works
fine (but the binary gets very large - about 2 MB). :-(

BTW, the standard modules that come with Apache work fine using DSO.

I used the following configure-options for Apache:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
--enable-module=most
--enable-shared=max
--add-module=mod_frontpage.c
--enable-shared=frontpage

(* after building and installing the php3-module, I added to the above: *)
--activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
--enable-shared=php3

Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Christof Pohl

Apache - DSO with 3rd party modules

Post by Rasmus Lerdo » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> The main task is to compile an Apache 1.3.3 with FrontPage- and PHP3-module.
> Neither of the 2 modules will work as shared module, although I have tried
> compiling Apache several times (for example with using only one of the two
> modules) and followed the steps in Apache's README.configure and PHP's
> INSTALL very closely. Building both modules within the httpd-binary works
> fine (but the binary gets very large - about 2 MB). :-(

So what?  Binary size is pretty much irrelevant.  Loading modules
dynamically does not reduce runtime memory usage.

Quote:

> BTW, the standard modules that come with Apache work fine using DSO.

> I used the following configure-options for Apache:

> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/apache
> --enable-module=most
> --enable-shared=max
> --add-module=mod_frontpage.c
> --enable-shared=frontpage

> (* after building and installing the php3-module, I added to the above: *)
> --activate-module=src/modules/php3/libphp3.a
> --enable-shared=php3

> Does anybody know what I am doing wrong?

For the PHP case, I bet you didn't compile PHP using the --with-shared-
apache switch.  See the Apache README.configure file for a step-by-step
on how to do what you are trying to do.

-Rasmus

Apache - DSO with 3rd party modules

Post by Christof Poh » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:Rasmus Lerdorf wrote...
>> The main task is to compile an Apache 1.3.3 with FrontPage- and
PHP3-module.
>> Neither of the 2 modules will work as shared module, although I have
tried
>> compiling Apache several times (for example with using only one of the
two
>> modules) and followed the steps in Apache's README.configure and PHP's
>> INSTALL very closely. Building both modules within the httpd-binary works
>> fine (but the binary gets very large - about 2 MB). :-(

>So what?  Binary size is pretty much irrelevant.  Loading modules
>dynamically does not reduce runtime memory usage.

Really? Ups. I don't know anything about main memory usage. If a larger
binary doesn't mean that the running server needs more memory, everything's
fine and I will use my already working httpd with the static modules.

Quote:

>For the PHP case, I bet you didn't compile PHP using the --with-shared-
>apache switch.  See the Apache README.configure file for a step-by-step
>on how to do what you are trying to do.

Sorry, I have bad news for you: you lost the bet with
the --with-shared-apache - switch. ;-)

But apart from that: thanks for the fast help.

cu,

Christof Pohl

1. troubles adding 3rd party DSO module

Hi,

I have built Apache 1.3.19 with DSO support. Server works beautiful. I
then add a third party module via axps and the module builds fine and
the line LoadModule is added to httpd.conf.

When I test the server config file with httpd -t I get the following
message:

devs2{webster}119: ../bin/httpd -t
Syntax error on line 205 of /web/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Can't locate API module structure `dynamo_module' in file
libexec/dynamo.so: ld.so.1: ../bin/httpd: fatal: dynamo_module: can't
find symbol

I have tried everything to figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank,
Liz

2. Stop Usenet Censorship and Totalitarianism 4048388720

3. Apache 3rd-party module install problem

4. HowToSlip; Amiga&Linux Together Again

5. PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY PARTY

6. Headers

7. apache DSO problem (Loaded DSO libexec/mod_mime.so uses plain Apache 1.3 API)

8. crontab problem (AIX 4.3.3)

9. apache 2.0.39 core dumps on AIX 4.3.3 with third party DSOs (long)

10. mod_rewrite and 3rd party modules

11. 3rd party modules

12. How to install 3rd party Xfree 4 server module during SUSE 7.1 setup