Apache (mySQL,PHP) slowdown due to too many processes?

Apache (mySQL,PHP) slowdown due to too many processes?

Post by STR » Thu, 22 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm in charge of a website that has a decent amount of traffic (a few
million hits a day) and uses Apache,mySQL, PHP, and some Java on the server.
I've tried to follow all the tuning tips for the various packages, I've
recompiled most everything with better compilers, etc.

The server slows to a crawl sometimes still, though. Restarting apache often
seems to fix it mostly. But what bothers me is that there are a TON of
processes running, 90% of which are sleeping (and a few more than my tastle
zombied). Restarting apache cuts down the processes. What can I do to stop
the creation of processes from going out of control?

=steve=

1. Apache w/ PHP and SSL: w/ PHP OK - w/out PHP NOK

Hi,

        I've been assigned the task of building an Apache server with
support for Sybase, PHP4, OpenSSL 0.9.6/mod_ssl ?, and apache 1.3.14.

I followed Israel Denis Jr/Eugene Otto's "The Soothingly Seamless
Setup of Apache, SSL, MySQL, and PHP" at DevShed, but compilation of
apache fails if I add PHP.  The same procedure w/out PHP works OK
(either port 80 or port 443.) As a non-developper, I'm totally in the
dark.

[/home/samba/temp/Apache/apache_1.3.14]# SSL_BASE=../openssl-0.9.6
/configure --enable-module=ssl
--activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a --enable-module=php4
--prefix=/usr/local/apache

Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.14
(snip)
-L/home/samba/temp/Apache/openssl-0.9.6  -o helpers/dummy
helpers/dummy.c   -rdynamic -Lmodules/php4 -L../modules/php4
-L../../modules/php4 -lmodphp4  -lpam  -ldl -lresolv -lm -ldl -lcrypt
-lnsl  -lresolv   -lm -lcrypt  -lssl -lcrypto
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmodphp4
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [dummy] Error 1

Any idea?

Thx
FF.

2. Please clean up patch README files!

3. PHP/MySQL "mysql.sock" not found ???

4. Upgrade Advice?

5. weird php error when using php-mysql-4.2.3 from ports

6. VeriSign Payflow Pro Troubles

7. PHP + MySQL - apparently installed OK - but no MySQL support!

8. E + Gnome instructions.

9. PHP+MySQL vs. PHP+PostgreSQL

10. Apache, PHP, & MySQL

11. Newbie need help on Apache+PHP+MySQL

12. Debian - PHP, Apache, MySQL - Success?

13. Useradministration on Apache/PHP/MySQL