Chat/Forum software available for WWW?

Post by Gary Strad » Thu, 04 May 1995 04:00:00

I am looking for software or systems that allow people to have real time
live conferences at a WWW site.  I am *not* looking for cgi scripts to do
this.  I am looking for live interactive solution that can integrate into
WWW.

Thanks,
Gary Strader
Vivo Media

Chat/Forum software available for WWW?

Post by Ian Alderm » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking for software or systems that allow people to have real time
> live conferences at a WWW site.  I am *not* looking for cgi scripts to do
> this.  I am looking for live interactive solution that can integrate into
> WWW.

What is the difference between a cgi script and a live interactive
solution?  I have written a live interactive solution that you can
integrate into WWW that allows people to have a real time live conference
at a WWW site.  It is a cgi script.

--

Post by Roger Capla » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for software or systems that allow people to have real time
>live conferences at a WWW site.  I am *not* looking for cgi scripts to do
>this.  I am looking for live interactive solution that can integrate into
>WWW.

I'm not sure what the alternative to CGI would be, but we are developing
an
interactive message board that is Web-based. Check out:

http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/cgi-bin/boards/board/wd!t-g

Roger Caplan    *       <URL:http://www.biostat.wisc.edu/roger/home>
                "Bigger boards with bigger nails"

Post by Paul Philli » Fri, 05 May 1995 04:00:00

>What is the difference between a cgi script and a live interactive
>solution?  I have written a live interactive solution that you can
>integrate into WWW that allows people to have a real time live conference
>at a WWW site.  It is a cgi script.

What's the difference? About a zillion times the overhead (constant
forking of processes), horrible protocol kludges to provide the illusion
of state maintenance, no way for the server to update the client without
more kludges, no way to update data without resending the entire page...

A lot is possible with CGI and a willingness to hack, but there are
good reasons to look for other methods.

 -PSP

--
"Listen up, Wolff: I don't want to hear a single *ing word from a snake-oil
 huckster like you about "free speech" until you've demonstrated that you've

Chat/Forum software available for WWW?

Post by Laurent Demail » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

A 3 days hack of mine does that and more, its <b>not yet finished</b>, but
you might consider looking at :
http://hplyot.obspm.fr:8001/irc
and
http://hplyot.obspm.fr:8001/ircw3help
And its not cgi, its a single process, 0 files I/O, on the fly gif
generation, etc.... (it connects an irc server, but could be stand
alone, its just more fun chating with Ircer too)
(btw same server also does animations and game using server push)

Regards
dl

ps : aren't html tags in news post 3l33t ;-)

--
<A HREF="http://hplyot.obspm.fr/~dl/">Laurent Demailly</A>