Apache: UserDir question

Post by Nathan V. Patwardh » Thu, 13 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I know similar questions have been asked before, but I've been playing
with this question for awhile and haven't found a solution.

On Apache 1.1.1, I want users to have homepages, but don't want the
URL(s) to be: http://www.foo.com/user ->  I want the URL to be:
http://www.foo.com/users/user instead.  I noticed that several examples
were commented in the Apache source code, like:

UserDir /usr/www http://www.foo.com/users

This seemed to do what I want(ed), but when I tried something like this,
it didn't work.  :-(

Here's what I've done:

(1) created an area in /usr/www for each user, like /usr/www/user.
(2) Config'd Userdir as: UserDir /usr/www http://www.foo.com/users
(3) Restarted the server, and called the URL: http://www.foo.com/users/user

Apache returns a page not found error.  Any suggestions or pointers to
documentation that I might check out?  Do I have do ReDirect ~/ to /users?

Thanks for your time.

--
Nathan V. Patwardhan

"Lane, this is pure snow!
Do you have any idea what
the street value of this mountain is?"
        --Charles Demar from _Better Off Dead_

Apache: UserDir question

Post by Nathan V. Patwardh » Sat, 15 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: On Apache 1.1.1, I want users to have homepages, but don't want the
: URL(s) to be: http://www.foo.com/user ->  I want the URL to be:

Problem fixed.
UserDir http://www.my.com/users -> redirects to http://www.my.com/users/user

--
Nathan V. Patwardhan

"What is your quest?"

1. apache UserDir question

Hello,

I'm new to Apache and am stumped as to how to get the
http://my.compter.com/~user to refer to /home/user/www/index.html

I've set in srm.conf:

        UserDir /home/*/www

In access.conf I've set

        <Directory /home/*/www>
             Order Deny,Allow
            Allow from All

            Options Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks

            AllowOverride None

            order allow,deny
            allow from all

        </Directory>

Then I restarted the server with the command

        apachectl restart

and received no warnings

Then I've written a short file for /home/user/index.html and changed the
permissions with

        chmod 777 -R /home/user/www

When I try http://my.compter.com/~user

I'm given a page showing, "You are not authorized to view this page"

So what am I forgetting?  I've read through the manual several times,
but can't seem to find the mistake in my work.

Thanks for your time,
Scott
Scott Beckman

University of California at Berkeley
Material Science and Mineral Engineering Department
577 Evans Hall #1760
Berkeley, CA  94720-1760

2. Flashing Horizontal lines

3. Apache UserDir question...

4. NFS and symbolic links

5. 755 userdirs? for ~userdir/public_html?

6. Syslogd

7. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

8. LILO loading prblm Dev 0x0101

9. VirtualHost UserDir in apache 0.8.13?

10. Apache UserDir CGI scripts

11. Apache and UserDir

12. Apache UserDir/AliasMatch