What "commercial" web server software runs under Linux & Solaris x86?

What "commercial" web server software runs under Linux & Solaris x86?

Post by Larry A. Smi » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking to put up several web sites on IBM PC compatibles, using
commercial software, not shareware or freeware.

What "commercial" web server software exists for Linux?

What "commercial" web server software exists for Solaris x86?

What "commercial" web server software exists for FreeBSD?

What "commercial" web server software exists for NetBSD?

What "commercial" web server software exists for BSDI?

Thanks in advance.
--
Larry Alan Smith

Beaverton, OR  97005-0964
USA

What "commercial" web server software runs under Linux & Solaris x86?

Post by Larry A. Smi » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking to put up several web sites on IBM PC compatibles, using
commercial software, not shareware or freeware.

What "commercial" web server software exists for Linux?

What "commercial" web server software exists for Solaris x86?

What "commercial" web server software exists for FreeBSD?

What "commercial" web server software exists for BSDI?

Thanks in advance.

--
Larry Alan Smith

Beaverton, OR  97005-0964
USA

What "commercial" web server software runs under Linux & Solaris x86?

Post by Larry A. Smi » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm looking to put up several web sites on IBM PC compatibles, using
commercial software, not shareware or freeware.  I'm specially interested
in packages that support SSL and/or S-HTTP to conduct credit card
transactions.

What "commercial" web server software exists for Linux?

What "commercial" web server software exists for Solaris x86?

What "commercial" web server software exists for FreeBSD?

What "commercial" web server software exists for NetBSD?

What "commercial" web server software exists for BSDI?

Thanks in advance.

--
Larry Alan Smith

Beaverton, OR  97005-0964
USA

What "commercial" web server software runs under Linux & Solaris x86?

Post by Ben Lauri » Sun, 03 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm looking to put up several web sites on IBM PC compatibles, using
>commercial software, not shareware or freeware.

>What "commercial" web server software exists for Linux?

>What "commercial" web server software exists for Solaris x86?

>What "commercial" web server software exists for FreeBSD?

>What "commercial" web server software exists for NetBSD?

>What "commercial" web server software exists for BSDI?

Linux, FreeBSD and NetBSD(?) are all freeware, so why are you contemplating them?

>Thanks in advance.
>--
>Larry Alan Smith

>Beaverton, OR  97005-0964
>USA

---
Ben Laurie, * Consultant and      | Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435
Technical Director, A.L. Digital Ltd,     | Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472

What "commercial" web server software runs under Linux & Solaris x86?

Post by Lars Marowsky-Br » Tue, 05 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:> I'm looking to put up several web sites on IBM PC compatibles, using
> commercial software, not shareware or freeware.

I know this may sound stupid, but could you please point out why you are
insisting on a commercial web server? When you run CGIs, you will most
likely install Perl -- non commercial. HTML wasn't specified by ANSI/ISO.
Non-commercial servers are often faster, in fact better supported and easier
to install and have a larger userbase than the commercial ones.
Is this related to .gov ? (I am just curious)

Quote:> What "commercial" web server software exists for Linux?

As far as I know: none. Apache _can_ do everything (except proxy -- you need
an additional CERN for that) including SSL and will run circles around many
commercial servers on other platforms.

Quote:> What "commercial" web server software exists for Solaris x86?
> What "commercial" web server software exists for FreeBSD?
> What "commercial" web server software exists for BSDI?

I believe Netscape and Open Market will run on these.

--
Lars Marowsky-Bree   Voice: +49-571-63663   PGP-key avail. via server

PGP-Id: 0xDAB57941 / CF FC 3A F0 86 F1 D3 EB  79 8A CF 75 4F 4C 81 DF