Receiving UNIX telnets

Post by Joey Lichtenstei » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Greetings.

Can anyone tell me how to RECEIVE telnets, without giving the
client a regular account?

For example, if someone were to telnet to a certain port of my
system, it could automatically execute a C or Perl program
to give that user command line interaction?

Thanks

Joey

Receiving UNIX telnets

Post by Kurt J. Lanz » Fri, 21 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Greetings.

> Can anyone tell me how to RECEIVE telnets, without giving the
> client a regular account?

> For example, if someone were to telnet to a certain port of my
> system, it could automatically execute a C or Perl program
> to give that user command line interaction?

Set up inetd to run any C, Perl, or shell script you want on a
particular port. "man inetd" for details.

Receiving UNIX telnets

Post by root.noharvest. » Sat, 22 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>> Greetings.

>> Can anyone tell me how to RECEIVE telnets, without giving the
>> client a regular account?

>> For example, if someone were to telnet to a certain port of my
>> system, it could automatically execute a C or Perl program
>> to give that user command line interaction?

>Set up inetd to run any C, Perl, or shell script you want on a
>particular port. "man inetd" for details.

Yep.... but they still need to add one more man file.....

"man posting-to-the-appropriate-newsgroup"

:)

1. Receiving UNIX telnets

        Joey,

        The two methods to use which immediately come to mind for me are:

        1. Run your apps through inetd by adding it into /etc/inetd.conf or
        2. Spend a few days and figure out how to write all of the TCP/IP stuff
for listening to a port, connecting users, etc yourself.

        You will have to ask around as far as the security implications of
running an app (especially the perl app) through inetd.conf. The last
thing you want is someone to figure out how to escape out of your perl
app and bump themselves into a shell! The advantage to this method
though is that (at least according to what I understand), your
application can talk to stdin / stdout, just as if you were to run it
from the command line, letting inetd take care of all of the network IO.

        If you want to "do it yourself", my best suggestion would be to look
through the source code for MUD's, telnetd and so forth to get an idea
as to handling sockets, concurrent connections and so forth. The code
for listening to sockets can be either quite easy (as is the case for
telnetd) or quite hairy (as in the case of many MUDS) depending on just
what you want your program to do.

                                        Hope this helps,
                                                 - Mike

2. Strange things about MCC Interim Release 0.97p2

3. script to send and receive to and from a telnet session

4. mounting remote disks

5. I want kermit to receive files thru a telnet link.

6. search a tft flat-screen

7. Receiving telnet-style options (need references)

8. Lots of ^[[21~ at boot time?

9. Can telnet into my box--can't receive mail--HELP

10. Receiving TCP ignores sending data when receiving buffer is full???

11. Fatal signal 11 received after receiving/losing IP address with ppp

12. Help receiving signal when data is received on socket

13. UNIX Domain Datagram Sockets - Receive Queue Size?