Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

Post by PROFnet - Teacher Evaluatio » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

os:                     solaris 2.7
apache:                 apache_1.3.9
gcc:                    gcc-2.8.1-sol7-sparc
running configure from: /tmp/apache_1.3.9

I have been working all day on trying to get apache compiled. I have checked
out bugs.apache.org and see an open bug report for almost the same problem
I am having, but for a different os. If anyone can tell me if I am doing
anythig wrong or point me in the right direction ?

Any help is appreciated. -- Brian

Everytime I run my.configure script i get the following error message:
+ doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.

my configure script is called my.configure and looks like:
** please note all the options are on the exact same line **
** i have abbreviated it for readability **
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
./configure
--verbose
--prefix=/usr/local/apache
--enable-module=env
--enable-module=log_config
--enable-module=mime
--enable-module=negotiation
--enable-module=status
--enable-module=include
--enable-module=autoindex
--enable-module=dir
--enable-module=cgi
--enable-module=asis
--enable-module=imap
--enable-module=actions
--enable-module=userdir
--enable-module=alias
--enable-module=rewrite
--enable-module=access
--enable-module=auth
--enable-module=auth_anon
--enable-module=usertrack
--enable-module=setenvif
--with-perl=/usr/local/bin/perl
--enable-suexec
--suexec-caller=www

I have tried setting the CFLAGS to -ansi and several other
modifications, but nothing seems to remove that wonderful
fatal error message.

Complete output of running the configure script via my script
# ./my.configure
Configuring for Apache, Version 1.3.9
 + using installation path layout: Apache (config.layout)
Creating Makefile
Creating Configuration.apaci in src
 + Rule SHARED_CORE=default
 + Rule SHARED_CHAIN=default
 + Rule SOCKS4=no
 + Rule SOCKS5=no
 + Rule IRIXNIS=no
 + Rule IRIXN32=yes
 + Rule PARANOID=no
 + Rule EXPAT=default
 + Rule DEV_RANDOM=default
 + Rule WANTHSREGEX=default
 + Module mmap_static: no
 + Module vhost_alias: no
 + Module env: yes
 + Module log_config: yes
 + Module log_agent: no
 + Module log_referer: no
 + Module mime_magic: no
 + Module mime: yes
 + Module negotiation: yes
 + Module status: yes
 + Module info: no
 + Module include: yes
 + Module autoindex: yes
 + Module dir: yes
 + Module cgi: yes
 + Module asis: yes
 + Module imap: yes
 + Module actions: yes
 + Module speling: no
 + Module userdir: yes
 + Module alias: yes
 + Module rewrite: yes
 + Module access: yes
 + Module auth: yes
 + Module auth_anon: yes
 + Module auth_dbm: no
 + Module auth_db: no
 + Module digest: no
 + Module auth_digest: no
 + Module proxy: no
 + Module cern_meta: no
 + Module expires: no
 + Module headers: no
 + Module usertrack: yes
 + Module example: no
 + Module unique_id: no
 + Module so: no
 + Module setenvif: yes
Creating Makefile in src
 + configured for Solaris 270 platform
 + setting C compiler to gcc
 + setting C pre-processor to gcc -E
 + checking for system header files
 + adding selected modules
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
    o rewrite_module uses ConfigStart/End
      disabling DBM support for mod_rewrite
./Configure: make: not found
      (perhaps you need to add -ldbm, -lndbm or -lgdbm to EXTRA_LIBS)
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
 + checking sizeof various data types
./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
 + doing sanity check on compiler and options
** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
** will also provide a clue.
 Aborting!
#

--

Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

Post by Peter » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> ./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found

... ten more times ...

Quote:> ** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
> ** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
> ** is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C Compiler, such
> ** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
> ** will also provide a clue.
>  Aborting!

I'd guess the problem is that 'make' is not in your PATH.
IIRC, make should be in /usr/ccs/bin. Try tinkering with PATH and configuring
again.

-Peter

--
The Intel Pentium III chip: designed to deny your privacy
Boycott Intel. http://www.privacy.org/bigbrotherinside/

Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

Post by Paul Rub » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>os:                         solaris 2.7
>apache:             apache_1.3.9
>gcc:                        gcc-2.8.1-sol7-sparc
>running configure from:     /tmp/apache_1.3.9

>I have been working all day on trying to get apache compiled. I have checked
>out bugs.apache.org and see an open bug report for almost the same problem
>I am having, but for a different os. If anyone can tell me if I am doing
>anythig wrong or point me in the right direction ?

>Any help is appreciated. -- Brian

[snip]

Quote:>Complete output of running the configure script via my script
[ ... snip ...]
>./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
>./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
>./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found
>./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found

It looks like, um, "make" is not found by the build script.  Maybe
your PATH variable is set up wrong.  Try typing "which make" to your
shell prompt.

Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

Post by Nick K » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

This question seems to be rather too frequent.

Quote:> ** A test compilation with your Makefile configuration
> ** failed. This is most likely because your C compiler
> ** is not ANSI.

No it isn't!  That's just one of a number of possible reasons, and surely
not even the most common.  That message really should be fixed.

Quote:> ** as gcc. The above error message from your compiler
> ** will also provide a clue.

Perhaps that should be reworded to something like
  ** You probably have one or more specific error message(s) above this.
  ** Please fix the errors before installing Apache.
  ** If you don't understand the errors, two possible fixes are:
  **  (1) Call support from your system vendor
  **  (2) Install a GNU development environment (gcc and GNU tools)
  **      For many operating systems (especially the free ones), the
  **      full GNU toolset will be included in your installation CDROM.

Quote:> ./helpers/TestCompile: make: not found

Others have already answered that.  Solaris has been a royal pain ever
since the M$-wannabes wrested effective control of Sun from the techies.
In fact, since the name Solaris was first introduced.

--
Nick Kew

Apache Compile Error-Not ANSI but gcc is ansi

Post by PROFnet - Teacher Evaluatio » Sat, 25 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Well you have saved me !! The answer was in my face all day, just needed a bang on the head.
Adding it to my path worked.

Brian

: I'd guess the problem is that 'make' is not in your PATH.
: IIRC, make should be in /usr/ccs/bin. Try tinkering with PATH and configuring
: again.

: -Peter

: --