Apache FTP proxy problems

Post by C. Regis Wilso » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello, I'm using Apache 1.3.3 on Linux 2.0.34, RedHat 5.1, as a caching,
proxy-only server.  I've compiled the necessary modules (I believe) and
am pleased with the results, save one irritant:

When accessing sites with my Netscape clients (haven't tried anything
else), a small minority of FTP URLs ask for usernames and passwords.
The main one that bothers me consistently is ftp://ftp.cdrom.com

Therefore:  1) Why would only a small percentage of ftp sites ask for
validation and only with the Apache Proxy (I've used other proxies that
work just fine; CERN and the fwtk) and 2) Why does it *keep* asking for
a username and password, even when I've downloaded the root directory
and want to go into a (or many) subdirectory(ies), and then again when
I've clicked on the file(s) to download?

Thanks for any help.  Should I submit a bug report?  Is there a fix?
Please let me know by newsgroup or e-mail.

--Regis