Newbie has probable misconceptions that prevent Apache from working.

Newbie has probable misconceptions that prevent Apache from working.

Post by Fred » Thu, 02 May 2002 06:57:01

I am unable to become familiar with Apache because I am unable to get it to
work. I have been working on and off for over a year.

I have a web site hosted by an ISP. However, I would like to host it myself.
Then I would not have a limit on disk space.

I do not know how to set it up.

Since my domainname is registered I believe I need to tell them I will be
hosting.
How do I do that? Do I really need my web site registered? Can I run my own
name server?
Can I have a web site without having to pay $75 a year?

I would also like to use Apache (Under Linux) as a Network Server for my Mac
and PC's.
Right now I have peer to peer networking. I would like to have a Linux
domain server (I do not want to use NT).
I have set the Hostname and Domainname on the server and set logon to
windows nt domain on the windows PC's.  In netconfig:

IP                               192.168.1.2
NetMask                   255.255.255.0
Default Gateway (IP) 192.168.1.1
Primary nameserver   192.168.1.1

DHCP is not selected. 192.168.1.1 is my gateway (Linksys router which has
DHCP set).
Should my nameserver be 192.168.1.2 the address of my server?

I reboot and ifconfig says inetaddr:192.168.1.101. Hmmmm. My router did not
accept 192.168.1.2 it assigned 192.168.1.101.

I run httpd on Linux server and Windows PC's cannot find the domain to log
on.

Respectively,
Fred

Newbie has probable misconceptions that prevent Apache from working.

Post by Juha Laih » Thu, 02 May 2002 15:12:03

Quote:>I have a web site hosted by an ISP. However, I would like to host it
>myself. Then I would not have a limit on disk space.

Ok. Were you planning to run it at home, then? Then you'll have limits
on the connection speed - and anyone visiting your site will share the
bandwidth with your net activity. Are you ok with this - can you get
a fast enough connection to where you live? Does your access provider
allow running servers (CHECK their policy) -- and if not, can you switch
to one that does?

Quote:>Since my domainname is registered I believe I need to tell them I will
>be hosting. How do I do that? Do I really need my web site registered?
>Can I run my own name server?

You can run your own name server, but your domain will have to be
registered somewhere. Name registration is a hierarchical system,
where there are a set of "top-level" (or "root") servers that have the
complete authority over the non-country-specific top level domains
(.com, .net, .org, ...). These contain the information about where
the nameserver authoritative for each subdomain of these is (f.ex.
what nameservers have the authoritative data for "apache.org" domain).
And so on for sub- domains of these.

If a computer doesn't know the address for some name, the queries
start from top down, i.e. with name "httpd.apache.org", first one of
the top-level servers gets asked about where to find apache.org data,
and then the nameserver returned from that query is asked what is the
address for httpd.apache.org.

One issue to check with your provider is whether you own your domain
or whether it is registered to and by your provider (and only leased
to you). If you own your domain, it can usually be rather easily
transferred - but if the domain (name) is owned by your hoster and
leased to you, you may end up needing to pay to get the ownership for
the name.

I seem to recall there's a requirement for each domain to have two
name servers behind separate network connections, which means you'd
have to get someone else to host your other name server (but I also
think that this requirement is not always followed).

Quote:>Can I have a web site without having to pay $75 a year?

As you read the above (and esp. check the connectivity requirements),
I'm rather certain you can self-host a site and end up paying far more
than that.

Quote:>I would also like to use Apache (Under Linux) as a Network Server for
>my Mac and PC's.

Hmm.. if I understood correctly what you meant by "network server" here,
yes, it's possible to run your private Apache as the web server for your
home network.

Quote:>Right now I have peer to peer networking. I would like to have a Linux
>domain server (I do not want to use NT).

But this has no longer anything to do with Apache, so I snipped it.

Quote:>I run httpd on Linux server and Windows PC's cannot find the domain to
>log on.

Yep.. you should be running a name server on your home network with
a namespace distinct from that of the outside world (i.e. come up
with your own toplevel domain and have your own name server be
authoritative for that). Of course, no-one from the outside will be
seeing these names (or your private IP addresses for that matter),
but it's possible to build a rather self-sustaining home network
this way. As it's Linux you're running, take the discussion to
comp.os.linux.networking, but please do read at least some of the
networking HOW-TO documents before shooting off a question.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland