Running multiple instances of Apache on a Linux box?

Running multiple instances of Apache on a Linux box?

Post by Chri » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 02:03:17

What is the correct or best way to run multiple instances of Apache
on a Linux box, e.g. on port 80, 81, 82, etc? How does one set up the
httpd.conf files, etc? Is there any documentation out there that
specifies how to set this up?

Problem we are trying to solve:
We are building a system that uses load balancing, SSL and Tomcat.
We want to go through a load balancer that picks an Apache web server
instance using round-robin. Each web server instance has our SSL
certificate
installed and then proxies the request to a dedicated Tomcat instance
running on a separate machine. We envision setting this up with
Apache-Tomcat
pairs that process the request. The Apache servers are there to
provide
SSL support and as a separate tier on a separate machine for security.

If we can get one Apache web set up with virtual hosts and each
virtual
host proxied to a specific Tomcat instance that would be great but can
you set up proxying on a Virtual Host basis, or is proxying
server-wide?

Any pointers/refernces appreciated!

Running multiple instances of Apache on a Linux box?

Post by Nemesis Service » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 04:24:50

just use the Listen syntax

Listen 80
Listen 81
Listen 82

<VirtualHost ip.address.here:80>

<VirtualHost ip.address.here:81>

<VirtualHost ip.address.here:82>

Quote:> What is the correct or best way to run multiple instances of Apache

Post by Michael Paesol » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:02:02

> If we can get one Apache web set up with virtual hosts and each
> virtual
> host proxied to a specific Tomcat instance that would be great but can
> you set up proxying on a Virtual Host basis, or is proxying
> server-wide?

Proxying works on a virtual host basis.
You can have even more flexibilty with mod_proxy and mod_rewrite.

Quote:> Any pointers/refernces appreciated!

http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_proxy.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/misc/rewriteguide.html
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html

best regards,
Michael Paesold

1. Zebra: Multiple instances and routing between instances?

Is it possible to run multiple instances of the zebra routing software
on linux?  And is there a way to have those multiple virtual router
instances to talk with each other?  The goal would be to set up say
eight instances of zebra on one linux server in order to facilitate
labbing out OSPF for example.

Thanks.

2. Anyone have to use (*GAG*) Windows on the job?

3. Can't run multiple instances of the same echo-server

4. variable substitution question

5. can I get multiple KNode instances running?

6. Want to boot up 2 or more floppies with Syslinux

7. Running multiple instances of VNC on single port

8. ram drives smart?

9. running multiple instances of a pipeline simultaneously

10. Multiple instances of httpd (apache)??

11. Multiple Instances of Apache

12. Apache with multiple instances of webserver

13. two instances apache in the same box