ndbm for apache on linux

Post by Mauricio Rodrigue » Sun, 07 Sep 1997 04:00:00

I'm trying to get Apache compiled with the dbm authentication module but
am having trouble finding dbm libraries for Linux.  I've tried using the
gdbm libraries, but the software won't compile with these.  Does anyone
know where I can get dbm libraries for Linux?  Has anyone done this
successfully using gdbm?

___________
Mauricio Rodriguez

http://www.netrox.net/~moerod

ndbm for apache on linux

Post by Mike Dorm » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

> I'm trying to get Apache compiled with the dbm authentication module but
> am having trouble finding dbm libraries for Linux.  I've tried using the
> gdbm libraries, but the software won't compile with these.  Does anyone
> know where I can get dbm libraries for Linux?  Has anyone done this
> successfully using gdbm?

I had some trouble with this, and I was able to fix it by changing the
library "dbm" to "ndbm" in the Apache Makefile...this will probably solve
your problem unless you don't have ndbm installed...

Mike

* From: Mike Dorman            * Life in the real world is far more *
* Webmaster, Netizen, Netaholic* interesting, far more important,   *

* http://soli.inav.net/~mdorman* ever find on a computer screen.    *
* Dorm in #dorm on UnderNet IRC*  - Clifford Stoll                  *

ndbm for apache on linux

Post by Nick K » Mon, 08 Sep 1997 04:00:00

(a) Should this go in the Apache FAQ?

(b) While we're om the subject, is anyone using RDBM for apache
authentication in the real world?

Quote:

> I'm trying to get Apache compiled with the dbm authentication module but
> am having trouble finding dbm libraries for Linux.  I've tried using the
> gdbm libraries, but the software won't compile with these.  Does anyone
> know where I can get dbm libraries for Linux?  Has anyone done this
> successfully using gdbm?

I used gdbm auth when I first compiled apache on Linux (though I've
since switched to auth_db).   Here's a diff:

72c72
< #include <gdbm.h>
---

Quote:> #include <ndbm.h>

124c124
<     GDBM_FILE f;
---
Quote:>     DBM *f;

131,135c131
<     if(!(f=gdbm_open(auth_dbmpwfile,
<                    0,
<                    GDBM_READER,
<                    0600,
<                    0))) {
---
Quote:>     if(!(f=dbm_open(auth_dbmpwfile,O_RDONLY,0664))) {

140c136
<     d = gdbm_fetch(f, q);
---
Quote:>     d = dbm_fetch(f, q);

148c144
<     gdbm_close(f);
---

Quote:>     dbm_close(f);

--
Nick Kew
WebThing virtual office: personal and groupware desktop on the Web

ndbm for apache on linux

Post by Martin Fische » Wed, 10 Sep 1997 04:00:00

>I'm trying to get Apache compiled with the dbm authentication module but
>am having trouble finding dbm libraries for Linux.  I've tried using the
>gdbm libraries, but the software won't compile with these.  Does anyone
>know where I can get dbm libraries for Linux?  Has anyone done this
>successfully using gdbm?

Yes, I've done it and apache compiles fine with gdbm. You only have to
change '-ldbm' to '-lgdbm' in the Makefile and you have to uncomment
the 'Module dbm_auth_module' in the Configuration file. It would be
easier to help if you give more details what's going wrong (compiler
errors?).

ciao
Martin
--

PGP key: http://geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/3082/ | FH-Bochum, Germany
Unsolicited commercial e-mail will be proof-read for $199/hr.