Does Apache serve JAR files ???

Post by Claudio Test » Tue, 08 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to have users connect to my web server (APACHE) and get
an auto-update or auto-install of a software (SmartUpdate style)?

Claudio Testa

Does Apache serve JAR files ???

Post by Dan Wil » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> Is it possible to have users connect to my web server (APACHE) and get
> an auto-update or auto-install of a software (SmartUpdate style)?

> Claudio Testa

To answer the question in the subject first, "yes", Apache will serve any
file you tell it to. A .jar file is a Java ARchive, which is really just a
ZIP file (usually) containing Java class libraries. The .jar file often
contains a PGP signature file, so that you (or the browser) can
authenticate the contents.

To answer the second part, Netscape's SmartUpdate uses a .jar file to
download a new version of a program. I believe that Netscape also checks
the PGP signature of the archive before doing any installations, so you
probably couldn't use this same mechanism for your own files.

And while you could theoretically write your own Java code that downloads
your own .jar file, it wouldn't work unless you put the user through the
rather tedious (and confusing to someone who doesn't know what all the
terminology means) process of authorizing your applet to perform the
update. Without authorization, Java applets cannot write files to the
local hard drive. This prevents "trojan horses" from installing themselves
and doing harm to the user's machine.

** Remove the REMOVE in my address address to reply reply  **

1. Apache: telling module mod_plsql to skip .GIF, .JPEG files and serve them from a file system

How can I configure mod_plsql(this one is from Oracle, analogous may
be mod_ows, DBPrism?) to skip some file types and serve them from a
file system (module handler is set on location, not file extension as
there are no defined extensions for PL/SQL web applications!).

Example: mod_plsql handler is set on location /pls:
Location /pls
  SetHandler pls_handler

In database stored procedure's generated HTML page I have an image tag
with relative src URL like "img/picture1.gif"

Because documents base URL is
 /pls/app1/something$.startup
then the image img/picture1.gif request is parsed by mod_plsql.

How can I configure Apache to serve img/picture1.gif in "normal" way
from some file instead of looking it in database which is default
mod_plsql behavour?

2. Vector Graphicsd in Linux

3. Apache configuration for servlet jar files

4. Help, problems compiling libc

5. java/43949: Port java/jump should install jump.jar in shared jars dir

6. corrupt etc/spwd.db

7. Can Linux serve DOS files?

8. make example failed.

9. ftp and jar-files (class files)

10. Serving large files with Apache

11. Can Apache properly serve up .js files?

12. Mirror NT web server with Apache Server ( serving .asp files )

13. apache not serving binary files?