Slow when using proxy compared to directly accessing the server

Slow when using proxy compared to directly accessing the server

Post by Darr » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 12:30:49

Hi,

I'm running: Linux 7.1, Apache 1.3.27 with mod_proxy

I have an Apache server running as a proxy server to an application
server.
                                  Internet

                                Apache proxy

                                 app server

It takes 5-7 extra seconds when I go through the Apache proxy server.
When I hit the application server directly, it takes about 1-2 seconds
for the page to load.

Here is part of my httpd.conf:
<VirtualHost 10.5.21.210:443>
ProxyRequests off
UseCanonicalName off
ProxyPass / http://10.5.20.125:8002/
ProxyPassReverse / http://10.5.20.125:8002/

##Certificate/SSL stuff here
bah,bah,bah

</Virtual Host>

I appreciate if anybody could give me some insight into this.

Slow when using proxy compared to directly accessing the server

Post by Joachim Ri » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 17:02:53

Quote:> I'm running: Linux 7.1, Apache 1.3.27 with mod_proxy
> ##Certificate/SSL stuff here

so you're obviously running an ssl proxy. that way the initial ssl
handshake adds latency to the process. how long does it take to serve
static content from the proxy machine? add that to the access time of
the backend server...

joachim