server side imagemap vs client side

Post by Dean Guenther - Systems Staf » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

What is the performance difference when doing a server side internal imagemap vs a client side imagemap? I know its not possible to figure out what a "standard" PC/Mac is configured as (clock/memory), but it seems like for most PCs/Mac clients, that it would
be quicker to use the internal imagemap capability on the server instead of relying on the client's on board imagemap ability. Has anyone done any benchmarks? -- Dean

www & Unix System Admin             AT&T:     (509) 335-0433
Washington State University     fax:      (509) 335-0540
Pullman, WA. 99164-1222

server side imagemap vs client side

Post by Marc Slemk » Thu, 27 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>What is the performance difference when doing a server side internal
>imagemap vs a client side imagemap? I know its not possible to figure
>out what a "standard" PC/Mac is configured as (clock/memory), but it
>seems like for most PCs/Mac clients, that it would be quicker to use
>the internal imagemap capability on the server instead of relying on
>the client's on board imagemap ability. Has anyone done any benchmarks?
>-- Dean

It will be quicker to use client side imagemaps.  The actual speed
of processing the imagemap is trivial compared to the overhead of the
network traffic generated by server side imagemaps.  Without persistent
connections, the client needs to make an entire new connection to
the server to tell it where the user clicked, which is very expensive.
With persistent connections, a whole new connection often isn't needed
but it is still quite expensive.