Performance to expect... I've sought, but not found

Performance to expect... I've sought, but not found

Post by The Male Bodybuilde » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I run a server based on a 266 EIDE, redhat Linux system and my Apache server
pushes around 3GB per DAY, over a 10Mbit link at Digital Nation.  Have you
checked these folks out?  The CPU is usually at around 1.2 to 2% usage with
only 32 MB RAM.  Around 3200 requests/second, multimedia files (average size
18kb).

I can't see that box being particularly taxed.

Henry Blackman

Quote:

> I've done my due diligence in searching for some actual Apache
> benchmarks and can find none.  What resources could I use to determine
> what sort of "performance" a 266Mhz EIDEsystem will provide?

> Performance, in this case, could be expressed like...

> How many file requests could the box initiate and sustain per
> second?

> Is the box capable of saturating a 10mb NIC?  (Surely.)

> Switching to SCSI subsys would help shuffle files out faster,
> but how much faster?  Theoretical or actual performance gains....

> An environment where the same documents are requested
> constantly would greatly benefit from more memory.  How about a box
> that serves a "different" file 95% of the time?

> The context in which this box will be running...

> RedHat 5.2
> No HTML or CGI is served, the box will be a storehouse for
> 50,000 multimedia files with a typical size of 25K each.
> mod_rewrite will check REFERER for authorized linking.
> RealAudio will also be operating on the same box, accessing
> the same file set.
> No dynamic content
> Based on previous threads, files will be distributed
> throughout a tree structure instead of plopped in one dir.

> Based on data on www.silkroad.com, it seems that a 266Mhz redhat box
> would be twiddling its thumbs, waiting for the NIC for straight thru
> file copy stuff.  What about many small files thru httpd?

> I'm choosing between one WSP that uses a 10mb NIC on a dedicated 10mb
> port to keep dedicated servers from hogging too much bandwidth (so
> much for traffic spikes) and another WSP that does NOT throttle
> (provides a 100mb segment) but charges much more for accumulated data
> transfer at any speed.

> I get the feeling that for the 10mb scenario, the bottleneck is at the
> NIC so it's almost pointless to configure the box to work effeciently
> under such a constraint.  But for the 100mb scenario, I need to know
> if the box I "rent" will be capable of taking advantage of the
> non-throttled fat pipe for which I will have paid a very pretty penny!

Performance to expect... I've sought, but not found

Post by Jef Poskanze » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:}I run a server based on a 266 EIDE, redhat Linux system and my Apache server
}pushes around 3GB per DAY, over a 10Mbit link at Digital Nation.  Have you
}checked these folks out?  The CPU is usually at around 1.2 to 2% usage with
}only 32 MB RAM.  Around 3200 requests/second, multimedia files (average size
}18kb).

Your math is off.  3200 req/sec * 18 KB/req * 86400 sec/day = 4746 GB/day
On the other hand, 3 GB/day / 18 KB/req / 86400 sec/day = 2 req/sec
Which is it?

In my experience, 3200 req/sec would be way higher than this hardware
could achieve running Apache.  I could do just about exactly that much
using my own server, recently benchmarked as the fastest in the world.
---
Jef

   Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.  (Whatever is said in
                       Latin sounds profound.)

Post by Dan Kege » Wed, 24 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> In my experience, 3200 req/sec would be way higher than this hardware
> could achieve running Apache.  I could do just about exactly that much
> using my own server, recently benchmarked as the fastest in the world.

Oh, you tease, you.  No fair saying that unless it's been released
and/or the benchmark page is publicly available.
- Dan
--
Speaking only for myself, not for my employer

Performance to expect... I've sought, but not found

Post by The Male Bodybuilde » Fri, 26 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Your math is off.  3200 req/sec * 18 KB/req * 86400 sec/day = 4746 GB/day
> On the other hand, 3 GB/day / 18 KB/req / 86400 sec/day = 2 req/sec
> Which is it?

> In my experience, 3200 req/sec would be way higher than this hardware
> could achieve running Apache.  I could do just about exactly that much
> using my own server, recently benchmarked as the fastest in the world.

Sorry, my figures were wrong...

Actually looking at server logs, I meant 483.32 requests/minute at maximum.
Not bad going for a 32MB server at 1.2% CPU load on average!

Henry

1. You've got yours, I've got mine... let the others in their shit!

Ah endless flameware on these beloved .advocacy...

I have runned a few systems in my poor life, and those
which fits me more is so far UNIX because I am rather
a scientific/programmer than something else.

Now I've also seen other peoples and sometimes other
scientific/programmer running other system, and
sometimes some incredibles ones like any M$ Win one.

So what? I know a guy who writes his thesis using word.
I find it awfull, horrible, difficult to maintain/port
(nobody but me saw him trying to send his source... where
TeX is nothing more than pure ASCII, running everywhere
on everything). But what can I do? I said... Why not TeX?
He answered "archaic"...

I do not request for peace... I just wonder why you try
to persuade other running on a true system if they are
happy with toys... If they find funny to collect problems
and pro to solve them after ages working on "how to fuck
this bug"... Leave them do!!! I am as you are UNIX friends
so far one of the most happy man in the universe having
somewhat the power in hands when running a UNIX system...
But have we to persuade lamers??? I say no... Let the
others in their shit.

--
Fabrice Laussy

2. Trying to configure mgetty => problem.

3. I've installed Red Hat 5.0 Linux and I've got a problem

4. Moving data from an IBM SYS 38 to a Data General Aviion

5. Where to find 'expect'

6. dynamic linking problems

7. I've read all I can find - now it's time to ask.

8. MS fears *nix UNIX that is NOT linux

9. expect for AIX where can I find freeware.expect.rte

10. Looking for program 'expect' with *.tar.Z format(not .gz)

11. find doesn't work as expected

12. I think I've found a 1.1.4x scsi problem.

13. Finding How Much I've written to a tape