Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 02:32:23

Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)

I'm using Named Virtual Hosting. It was working, but now for some
reason no matter which of my named sites I hit, the FIRST in the list
comes up. If I make another site first, then IT comes up for each
site. This happens both within and outside my firewall, using Opera,
Konquerer, or Netscape.

My httpd.conf looks like:

# NameVirtualHost * (if I uncomment this I get an error on startup)

<VirtualHost *>

    DocumentRoot /home/site0/www/
    ServerName site0.com
    ServerAlias site0.com *.site0.com
    ErrorLog /home/site0/logs/error_log
    CustomLog /home/site0/logs/access_log common
    Options ExecCGI Indexes
</VirtualHost>

 <VirtualHost *>

     DocumentRoot /home/site1/www
     ServerName site1.com
     ServerAlias site1.com *.site1.com
     ErrorLog /home/site1/logs/error_log
     CustomLog /home/site1/logs/access_log common
     Options ExecCGI Indexes
 </VirtualHost>

In this config, only site0 will show up, even if I put site1 in the
url. I have debugging logging on, and see nothing interesting in the
logs.

Any assistance in how to debug this would be appreciated. As I said,
this WAS woroing and something changed. The only recent changes on the
system were kernal updates from RH.

I'm on RH8, apache version above.

Thanks!
Gx

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by dav.. » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 02:49:52

Quote:> # NameVirtualHost * (if I uncomment this I get an error on startup)

WHICH error?
If you don't have the "NameVirtualHost" directive, the Virtual Hosts
doesn't work.

Davide

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 07:42:13

I get this error (warning?):

  mixing * ports with non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is
not supported, proceeding with undefined results.

With this line uncommented, NONE of the sites come up at all, I only
get my firewall challenge. The sites were coming up properly with this
line commented previously.

I cannot put a fix IP address in the conf file as its dynamic.

Thanks for advice! I'm definitely stuck on this one..

Gx

> > # NameVirtualHost * (if I uncomment this I get an error on startup)

> WHICH error?
> If you don't have the "NameVirtualHost" directive, the Virtual Hosts
> doesn't work.

> Davide

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by J Dexte » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 12:35:34

Salutations:

I fear you have answered your own question if I understand correctly that you
cannot use static IP on the machine..

Happy New Year!

Top Radio Free Dexterdyne Tune o'da-day:
(RealAudio 8+ required)

Charles Brown - Bringing in a Brand New Year
http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/0012.RAM

J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
All tunes no cookies no ads no news no weather no phone in All the Time..

> I cannot put a fix IP address in the conf file as its dynamic.

> Thanks for advice! I'm definitely stuck on this one..

> Gx

> > > # NameVirtualHost * (if I uncomment this I get an error on startup)

> > WHICH error?
> > If you don't have the "NameVirtualHost" directive, the Virtual Hosts
> > doesn't work.

> > Davide

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Wed, 01 Jan 2003 23:15:33

Hello and Happy Near Year also. No, I haven't answered this; as I said
this same configuration worked fine. It was running for months
configured that way. I'm certain that there are thousands of Apache
servers out there on dynamic IP's doing virtual hosting. I was hosting
4 sites from this same box.

All of the URL's get to my box fine, so the IP isn't the problem. The
problem is that Apache for some reason isn't associating the URL with
the corresponding virtual host. It acts as if it can't determine the
incoming URL.

I've done many rhn updates the past month, perhaps something changed
how Apache operates?

Apache gurus can you give me some tips on how to debug this? I have
DEBUG level on in the logs but I don't see anything in there that
would point to a problem.

Thanks,
Gx

> Salutations:

> I fear you have answered your own question if I understand correctly that you
> cannot use static IP on the machine..

> Happy New Year!

> Top Radio Free Dexterdyne Tune o'da-day:
> (RealAudio 8+ required)

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Polo » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:43:04

do you have this ip address recorded in your dns server ?

in my config, my dns knowss www.site0.com at 111.222.333.444 and apache
directive works fine.

HNY 2003

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by J Dexte » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 01:43:59

Salutations:

Well sister Sara - I am often wrong of course..

You are correct that it is possible to host without a perm IP - however it is
usually achieved through a third party host where you would register your new IP
whenever you booted the machine.. If you have a DNS machine that finds the new
IP when you reboot - that would work too.. But I'm lead to believe that you
require a static IP pointer and registered domain to serve (virtual or
otherwise)..

It is possible that you have not had your IP rotated by your ISP (again -
assuming this is a public machine) for the past 4 - 6 months (it's called IP
squatting and a lot of ISP's don't rotate them everytime you boot)..

Check with your ISP saying "what if.." and see what they have to say - I'd be
deeply interested if you can indeed host without registering an IP - I've been
looking for a cheap Tarpat solution..

gain - happy new year..

Top Radio Free Dexterdyne Tune o'da-day:
(RealAudio 8+ required)

Charles Brown - Bringing in a Brand New Year
http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/0012.RAM

J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
All tunes no cookies no ads no news no weather no phone in All the Time..

> Hello and Happy Near Year also. No, I haven't answered this; as I said
> this same configuration worked fine. It was running for months
> configured that way. I'm certain that there are thousands of Apache
> servers out there on dynamic IP's doing virtual hosting. I was hosting
> 4 sites from this same box.

> All of the URL's get to my box fine, so the IP isn't the problem. The
> problem is that Apache for some reason isn't associating the URL with
> the corresponding virtual host. It acts as if it can't determine the
> incoming URL.

> I've done many rhn updates the past month, perhaps something changed
> how Apache operates?

> Apache gurus can you give me some tips on how to debug this? I have
> DEBUG level on in the logs but I don't see anything in there that
> would point to a problem.

> Thanks,
> Gx

> > Salutations:

> > I fear you have answered your own question if I understand correctly that you
> > cannot use static IP on the machine..

> > Happy New Year!

> > Top Radio Free Dexterdyne Tune o'da-day:
> > (RealAudio 8+ required)

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 10:16:46

Hi Polo and thanks so much for responding. I added the domains to my
hosts file on a previous suggestion, so yes, the correct address is
being resolved. Thanks for the suggestion, it does SEEM to be somehow
related to names/IP's, but in this case the telltale sympton- when I
put in the URL it DOES hit MY RH server. The problem is, apache
doesn't associate the name with the virtual host.

Regards,
Sara

> do you have this ip address recorded in your dns server ?

> in my config, my dns knowss www.site0.com at 111.222.333.444 and apache
> directive works fine.

> HNY 2003

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Thu, 02 Jan 2003 10:19:32

Good afternoon Mr Dexter, and thanks for the reply. You may be onto
something here- my provider likes to tweak my IP about once every 6
months. This COULD be the problem, although as I said, outside my
firewall the name is being resolved (by, as you suggested, an outside
resolver) correctly. However, it might be latency or something?

Cheers, I'm off to research!
PS HAPPY GNU YEAR!

> Salutations:

> Well sister Sara - I am often wrong of course..

> You are correct that it is possible to host without a perm IP - however it is
> usually achieved through a third party host where you would register your new IP
> whenever you booted the machine.. If you have a DNS

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:07:35

hi again-

My DNS service has my current IP, so I don't think that's the problem.

How can I see what name the browser sees? It seems like its not
getting the URL for some reason..

-S

> Salutations:

> Well sister Sara - I am often wrong of course..

> You are correct that it is possible to host without a perm IP - however it is
> usually achieved through a third party host where you would register your new IP
> whenever you booted the machine.. If you have a DNS machine that finds the new
> IP when you reboot - that would work too.. But I'm lead to believe that you
> require a static IP pointer and registered domain to serve (virtual or
> otherwise)..

> It is possible that you have not had your IP rotated by your ISP (again -
> assuming this is a public machine) for the past 4 - 6 months (it's called IP
> squatting and a lot of ISP's don't rotate them everytime you boot)..

> Check with your ISP saying "what if.." and see what they have to say - I'd be
> deeply interested if you can indeed host without registering an IP - I've been
> looking for a cheap Tarpat solution..

> gain - happy new year..

> Top Radio Free Dexterdyne Tune o'da-day:
> (RealAudio 8+ required)

> Charles Brown - Bringing in a Brand New Year
> http://www.dexterdyne.org/888/0012.RAM

> J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
> All tunes no cookies no ads no news no weather no phone in All the Time..

> > Hello and Happy Near Year also. No, I haven't answered this; as I said
> > this same configuration worked fine. It was running for months
> > configured that way. I'm certain that there are thousands of Apache
> > servers out there on dynamic IP's doing virtual hosting. I was hosting
> > 4 sites from this same box.

> > All of the URL's get to my box fine, so the IP isn't the problem. The
> > problem is that Apache for some reason isn't associating the URL with
> > the corresponding virtual host. It acts as if it can't determine the
> > incoming URL.

> > I've done many rhn updates the past month, perhaps something changed
> > how Apache operates?

> > Apache gurus can you give me some tips on how to debug this? I have
> > DEBUG level on in the logs but I don't see anything in there that
> > would point to a problem.

> > Thanks,
> > Gx

> > > Salutations:

> > > I fear you have answered your own question if I understand correctly that you
> > > cannot use static IP on the machine..

> > > Happy New Year!

> > > Top Radio Free Dexterdyne Tune o'da-day:
> > > (RealAudio 8+ required)

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by J Dexte » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 11:19:36

Salutations:

Curious.. and - I'm lost..

You have a dynamic (DCHP) connection to the internet from which you have been
servicing a domain.. You are trying to add some virtual domains and it has
failed outright (it uses the first virtual domain first)..

Fair enough - does the top level domain still work (can you provide an URL so I
can hit it from here) on your server and (this probably way too simple) have you
made sure you have closed all the domain config statements ( </directory> )?..
After that - I must say that I'm a bit flumix without more details (and even
then - who knows)..

Personally - I'd save the new conf on the side for a while and regress the
system back to one domain to make sure it isn't something else then add one
virtual domain at a time till I got them (top domain and one virtual) working -
then add another to see what happens..

After that - I'd give up and add another machine to the router and start
crawling through the apache.org docs until my backside couldn't take it
anymore.. Then repeat previous paragraph.. Sorry sister sara - not much help I'm
afraid..
Hepster duffus time for me I suppose..

Post by Sar » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 04:59:15

> Salutations:

> Curious.. and - I'm lost..

Hi again Mr Dexter:

Quote:> After that - I'd give up and add another machine to the router and start
> crawling through the apache.org docs until my backside couldn't take it
> anymore.. Then repeat previous paragraph.. Sorry sister sara - not much help I'm afraid..
> Hepster duffus time for me I suppose..

Heck don't beat yourself up at least you're TRYING to help me discover
this problem.  Its a lot more helpful than other others gave me! I
appreciate the time you took to reply.

I'll doublecheck the config file but it starts with no errors, so I'm
thinking if a tag was missing it would complain? I'll dig into that
when I get to the site. Also I'll send you the url.

I think you may be onto something - the key is in the httpd.conf file.
I bet there is something wrong there. I think I have a backup (that
worked) from a few months ago. Actually I may not have one since the
conversion from Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2.x. I'm not even entirely sure
the sites all worked since we went to 2.x, but I'm 95% sure it did.

OK, I gotta fly- thanks again for the suggestions. I'm back in
investigator mode..

Gx

Post by Sar » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 09:25:01

> > Salutations:

> > Curious.. and - I'm lost..

> Hi again Mr Dexter:

> > After that - I'd give up and add another machine to the router and start
> > crawling through the apache.org docs until my backside couldn't take it
> > anymore.. Then repeat previous paragraph.. Sorry sister sara - not much help I'm afraid..
> > Hepster duffus time for me I suppose..

> Heck don't beat yourself up at least you're TRYING to help me discover
> this problem.  Its a lot more helpful than other others gave me! I
> appreciate the time you took to reply.

> I'll doublecheck the config file but it starts with no errors, so I'm
> thinking if a tag was missing it would complain? I'll dig into that
> when I get to the site. Also I'll send you the url.

> I think you may be onto something - the key is in the httpd.conf file.
> I bet there is something wrong there. I think I have a backup (that
> worked) from a few months ago. Actually I may not have one since the
> conversion from Apache 1.3.x to Apache 2.x. I'm not even entirely sure
> the sites all worked since we went to 2.x, but I'm 95% sure it did.

> OK, I gotta fly- thanks again for the suggestions. I'm back in
> investigator mode..

> Gx

> > J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.dexterdyne.org/
> > All tunes no cookies no ads no news no weather no phone in All the Time..

> > > hi again-

> > > My DNS service has my current IP, so I don't think that's the problem.

> > > How can I see what name the browser sees? It seems like its not
> > > getting the URL for some reason..

> > > -S

OK, I still think you're right this is some knd of config issue, but
the more research I do, the more it seems I'm properly configured!

on this Apache 2 doc page
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/vhosts/examples.html#purename

it gives an example which, when I try to follow it, I get:

Starting httpd: [Fri Jan 03 19:38:58 2003] [error] VirtualHost
_default_:443 --
mixing * ports and non-* ports with a NameVirtualHost address is not
supported,
proceeding with undefined results
                                                           [  OK  ]

which when tested, doesn't work as a vhost server. I grepped "443" on
all of the conf files- I can't see where that is even coming from 443
isn't used in the files. I think that may be the problem however- I
need to locate the source of that port 443..

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by Sar » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 09:33:04

Quote:> > Salutations:

> > Well sister Sara - I am often wrong of course..

> > You are correct that it is possible to host without a perm IP - however it is
> > usually achieved through a third party host where you would register your new IP
> > whenever you booted the machine.. If you have a DNS machine that finds the new
> > IP when you reboot - that would work too.. But I'm lead to believe that you
> > require a static IP pointer and registered domain to serve (virtual or
> > otherwise)..

> > It is possible that you have not had your IP rotated by your ISP (again -
> > assuming this is a public machine) for the past 4 - 6 months (it's called IP
> > squatting and a lot of ISP's don't rotate them everytime you boot)..

> > Check with your ISP saying "what if.." and see what they have to say - I'd be
> > deeply interested if you can indeed host without registering an IP - I've been
> > looking for a cheap Tarpat solution..

> > gain - happy new year..

Mr. Dexter you did it! Apache is running fine now (PHP is another
matter..). The problem was port 443 (SSL). I went into conf.d and got
rid of that file, and bottabing botta boom, the warning went away and
the pages are fine now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction..

Apache 2.0.x virtual host ALWAYS beings up the FIRST host in the list..

Post by J Dexte » Sat, 04 Jan 2003 10:05:48

Salutations:

Well bust my buttons Sister Sara - great to hear.. I think you are really the
one that worked it out - which is always just way more cool than advising to
pull out and check the dox - but kick me some links so I can look around.. If
you are of a mind to I am always appreciative a text link back to Radio Free
Dexterdyne in any dusty used corner on a site.. :) ..

Radio Free Dexterdyne - http://www.veryComputer.com/
All tunes no cookies no ads no news no weather no phone in All the Time..

Now - onto pulling out all the javascript from the my site, kicking out some
resumes and saving the world from the * thirsty bandwidth junkies..! Hey -
is that a phone booth I see?..

Radio Free Dexterdyne Top Tune o'be-do-da-day
(RealAudio 8+ (G2) required)

Tim Curry - I'm Going Home
http://www.veryComputer.com/

J Dexter - webmaster - http://www.veryComputer.com/
All tunes no cookies no ads no news no weather no phone in All the Time..

Quote:

> Mr. Dexter you did it! Apache is running fine now (PHP is another
> matter..). The problem was port 443 (SSL). I went into conf.d and got
> rid of that file, and bottabing botta boom, the warning went away and
> the pages are fine now.

> Thanks for pointing me in the right direction..

1. Apache 1.3b2: Default Host and all virtual hosts serve only first virtual hosts pages?

Hello.

Have been running 1.2b8 for a intranet and decided to move upto 1.3b2. I
have several name based virtual hosts that have been working under
1.2b8. After compiling and installing 1.3b2 my virtual hosts do not
work. In fact what happens is that even though DocumentRoot and default
server name is different, eg: www.serverA.net pointing to /www/default,
Apache 1.3b2 will always take me to the first defined virtual host as if
it's locked to it no matter what virtual host I try to browse. What
gives? Please post and E-Mail.

In /etc/hosts for my machines IP address I have

A.B.C.D         www.default.net www.virtA.net www.virtB.net

In ../conf/httpd.conf I have;

<VirtualHost www.virtA.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtA
ServerName www.virtA.net
ErrorLog logs/virtA.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtA.access.log
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost www.virtB.net>

DocumentRoot /usr/local/www/virtB
ServerName www.virtB.net
ErrorLog logs/virtB.error.log
TransferLog logs/virtB.access.log
</VirtualHost>

--

2. can only gain full access to X as Root

3. : How to prevent one named virtual host from "seeing" another virtual hosts files ?

4. Softupdates

5. Mixing Apache Name Based Virtual Hosts and SSL Virtual Host

6. help needed when boot !!

7. Virtual Host defaults to first host

8. Nameserver on Linux (vs. HP-UX)

9. FrontPage virtual hosting, removal or reset of virtual host

10. For Discussion: web virtual hosting vs mail virtual hosting

11. Apache - Virtual Host or /etc/hosts

12. Apache virtual host - cgi-bin always refer back to main document root !?

13. Apache 2.0 - another virtual hosts problem