multiple servers?

Post by marta.. » Mon, 11 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Perhaps there's a better option to create both a public site and a
private site in the same machine: two servers running on the same
machine, for example:

the public one on port 80 (hhttp://www.department.es)
the private one on port 5555 (http://www.department.es:5555)

What are the pros and cons of this option? How would you configure it if
you wanted the httpd to run in inetd mode?

Thank you.

Marta.

multiple servers?

Post by S Watki » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Perhaps there's a better option to create both a public site and a
: private site in the same machine: two servers running on the same
: machine, for example:

: the public one on port 80 (hhttp://www.department.es)
: the private one on port 5555 (http://www.department.es:5555)

: What are the pros and cons of this option? How would you configure it if
: you wanted the httpd to run in inetd mode?

Hello Marta,

 I (personally) wouldn't go to this trouble.

The trick I would use is to install one of the more 'enlightened'
webservers which can handle 'virtual hosting'. NCSA is an example.

What you could do is to register a network name for the 'private'
webserver (www.private.department.es, for example), and then setup the
webserver so that calls to the private name are handled differently to
calls to the 'public' name.

In that way, you would only need one webserver configuration to handle
both 'types' of server requirement.

Steff

: Steff Watkins, General Computer-type being
: University of Bristol, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1TH, UK
:

: X-400   : /G=Steff/S=Watkins/O=Bristol/PRMD=UK.AC/ADMD= /C=GB/
: Phone: +44 177 9287869 (external)   3046 / 7869    (internal)

multiple servers?

Post by Nathan V. Patwardh » Thu, 14 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: the public one on port 80 (hhttp://www.department.es)
: the private one on port 5555 (http://www.department.es:5555)

I wouldn't bother going into inetd.  If you're using
apache, you can redirect the private server from
www.department.es->www.department.es:5555, for
brevity's sake.

HTH

--

"Take them to the Iron Maiden"
IRON MAIDEN ... EXCELLENT!

multiple servers?

Post by Life is hard... and then you die » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Perhaps there's a better option to create both a public site and a
> private site in the same machine: two servers running on the same
> machine, for example:

> the public one on port 80 (hhttp://www.department.es)
> the private one on port 5555 (http://www.department.es:5555)

If you don't want to use a different host name then sure, do it this
way (I use other ports for test servers).

Quote:> What are the pros and cons of this option?

Pro: you only need one host name and ip-address. Con: you have to type
in a port number in the url for the private server.

Quote:> How would you configure it if you wanted the httpd to run in inetd mode?

Are you sure you want to run it from inetd? I'd say do this only if you
expect a very light load, as the server is started anew for each
request. Or if you're very paranoid about security. Otherwise I highly
recommend run it standalone. How to configure it depends largely on what
type of system and server you're running. Assuming U*IX, add a couple
entries like the following in /etc/services:

httppub            80/tcp                          # public WWW
httppriv         5555/tcp                          # private WWW

Then add a couple lines like the following in /etc/inetd.conf:

httppub         stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/local/apache/src/httpd httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd_pub.conf
httppriv        stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/local/apache/src/httpd httpd -f /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd_priv.conf

See 'man inetd.conf' for more details. Then, if you're using Apache set
ServerType directive to inetd; for other servers check out their docs.

  Cheers,

  Ronald