weird behavior with apache access log file and reverse lookups

weird behavior with apache access log file and reverse lookups

Post by r » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 22:41:57

Hello,
I have a linux box rh7.3 and Apache/1.3.27

i have about 7 virtual hosts. One of them (the busiest) has the names
resolved in the log files. (not good for performance)

I can not figure it out.

i have HostnameLookups off both at the top and i also tried in the
virtual host section as well.

but the log file is still resolving ARG!

Any suggestions?

this is the httpd entry

<VirtualHost ipaddress>

        ServerName www.mydomain.com
        ServerAlias ipaddress
        DocumentRoot /home/mydomain
        ErrorLog /usr2/wwwlogs/mydomain.com-error_log
        CustomLog /usr2/wwwlogs/mydomain.com-access_log combined
        ScriptAlias /cgi-local /home/mydomain/cgi-local
        JkMount       /*.jsp ajp13
        JkMount       /servlet/* ajp13
        ErrorDocument 403 http://www.mydomain.com/403.html
        Header append P3P 'CP="NON DSP COR ADM TAI NOR STA"'
        HostnameLookups off
</VirtualHost>

weird behavior with apache access log file and reverse lookups

Post by David Efflan » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:51:27

Quote:> Hello,
> I have a linux box rh7.3 and Apache/1.3.27

> i have about 7 virtual hosts. One of them (the busiest) has the names
> resolved in the log files. (not good for performance)

> I can not figure it out.

> i have HostnameLookups off both at the top and i also tried in the
> virtual host section as well.

> but the log file is still resolving ARG!

In your conf or .htaccess files look for anything that does Allow or Deny
using a full or partial hostname or domain.  That will trigger lookups
regardless of HostnameLookups setting (to see if there is a match).

1. Really wierd behavior with apache log file and reverse lookups

Hello,
I have a linux box rh7.3 and Apache/1.3.27

i have about 7 virtual hosts. One of them (the busiest) has the names
resolved in the log files. (not good for performance)

I can not figure it out.

i have HostnameLookups off both at the top and i also tried in the
virtual host section as well.

but the log file is still resolving ARG!

Any suggestions?

this is the httpd entry
<VirtualHost 207.111.170.21>

        ServerName www.mydomain.com
        ServerAlias 207.111.170.21
        ErrorDocument 403 http://www.unitnet.com/403.html
        Header append P3P 'CP="NON DSP COR ADM TAI NOR STA"'
        HostnameLookups off
</VirtualHost>

2. Telnet server/sockets question

3. Weird behavior from the secure log file

4. Solaris 8 printing to an HP 2420dn

5. Apache 1.1.1, log files and no DNS lookup.

6. qmail, kmail, and maildir

7. Weird apache access.log problem

8. I installed linux...

9. 'bytes' in Apache access log-- bug/unexplained behavior

10. Weird entry in Apache access log

11. i4b log 'reverse lookup'

12. How to disable reverse DNS lookup with apache ?

13. Apache error_log and reverse DNS lookups