Netscape server environment variables (profile)

Netscape server environment variables (profile)

Post by 3SCI-Alain Aug » Wed, 19 Feb 1997 04:00:00

We have configured our Netscape server
in the way that all processes are owned by
the user netscape.

Is it normal that when we call a CGI script
or program by a browser that all the normal
environment variables are not set the same
way as a normal login by the netscape user ?

What i mean by that is that we are hoping that
the .profile file of the netscape user will be
called when we run a CGI script.

Steve, thanks....
Please help...

Post by David William » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> We have configured our Netscape server
> in the way that all processes are owned by
> the user netscape.

> Is it normal that when we call a CGI script
> or program by a browser that all the normal
> environment variables are not set the same
> way as a normal login by the netscape user ?

> What i mean by that is that we are hoping that
> the .profile file of the netscape user will be
> called when we run a CGI script.

A shell (sh, csh, etc.) set's its own environment
variables and you can add your own via .profile or
.login.

The web server does not login under a shell and does
not have shell environment variables.

Of course, you can call a CGI that sets additional
environment variables as you need them, but you could
also just send that info via normal GET/POST.

David Williams