Backup servers, possible ??

Post by Atif Ahmad Kh » Tue, 27 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Our network connection and the main machine has been somewhat unreliable
lately and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a backup server
elsewhere in case connections to our present server weren't working.  A
failure occurs once every week and that isn't very good.  If there was a
machine to fall back on in case of trouble that would be great.  I wouldn't
have to worship the current machine and wouldn't have to get up in the middle
of the night to make sure it was running.

Thanks.

Atif Khan

Backup servers, possible ??

Post by John Hasca » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

}>Our network connection and the main machine has been somewhat unreliable
}>lately and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a backup server
}>elsewhere in case connections to our present server weren't working.  A
}>failure occurs once every week and that isn't very good.  If there was a
}>machine to fall back on in case of trouble that would be great.  I wouldn't
}>have to worship the current machine and wouldn't have to get up in the middle
}>of the night to make sure it was running.
}There _is_ a way to set up a secondary IP address in the DNS, but while
}FTP and telnet will use this, I have NEVER seen a web browser that supports
}this ability.

        HINT: Browser writers!

Quote:}You could set up a second machine on the same network that would 'ping' the
}unreliable machine, and if the other machine goes down, either take over it's
}IP address, or better, trip a relay and reboot it.

   A cleaner solution might be to use a virtual interface on both machines
   and have only one of them "arp" for it at a time (through some sort
   of watchdog program).

Quote:}Of course, a better solution is to just replace the unreliable connection
}and machine.

   Agreed.

John
--
John Hascall                   ``An ill-chosen word is the fool's messenger.''
Moderator, comp.unix.wizards

Backup servers, possible ??

Post by Kevin Kad » Wed, 28 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>Our network connection and the main machine has been somewhat unreliable
>lately and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a backup server
>elsewhere in case connections to our present server weren't working.  A
>failure occurs once every week and that isn't very good.  If there was a
>machine to fall back on in case of trouble that would be great.  I wouldn't
>have to worship the current machine and wouldn't have to get up in the middle
>of the night to make sure it was running.

>Thanks.

>Atif Khan

There _is_ a way to set up a secondary IP address in the DNS, but while
FTP and telnet will use this, I have NEVER seen a web browser that supports
this ability.

You could set up a second machine on the same network that would 'ping' the
unreliable machine, and if the other machine goes down, either take over it's
IP address, or better, trip a relay and reboot it.

Of course, a better solution is to just replace the unreliable connection
and machine.

I have set up mirror sites for several people, but usually this is in
addition to the regular site, and you'd have to tell your users to try the
alternative sites if the first one fails.

--
Kevin Kadow

Backup servers, possible ??

Post by Jon Zee » Thu, 29 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Our network connection and the main machine has been somewhat unreliable
>lately and I was wondering if there was a way to setup a backup server

This is exactly the reason that numerous companies pay us to run their
web site.  Then we worry about the details of backup server, failure modes,
redundancy, etc.

--
        Commercial Internet Marketing and WWW Development

(313) 741-4442  http://branch.com/              gopher branch.com

1. Possible to config DNS to go to 2nd WWW server when primary server down?

Hi,

I currently have a Virtual Web Server account with a company that,
generally, provides a good service.  However, there are occasions when
their Internet connection dies for a day which is not good for my
business.

What I would like to do is to have a 2nd virtual server account with
another provider - the content of which mirrors that of my primary
server.  Is it possible with DNS to have a lookup performed on the
hostname www.foo.com look to the IP address of the 1st virtual
account, and if there is no response (ie. server dead) it goes to the
IP address of the 2nd virtual account?

I don't know enough about DNS to know whether this is possible.  Has
anybody configured something like this or know of anybody that has.
How could I go about setting something like this up?

Many thanks in advance and a happy new year to all!

2. to HOWTO authors everwhere:

3. Is it possible to access a server's access log from another server?

4. IP Masquerade/FTP question

5. Geforce 2 MX Linux Twin X servers or X server + framebuffer - Is it possible

6. Commercial Linux device drivers

7. Load Balancing Mail Servers / Backup Servers

8. Ghosting Lunix

9. backup nt-server from sco server

10. Should I install 2 NICs for in each server for my Backup Server?

11. Link LAN to Internet via server and backup server

12. A possible backup solution for UNIX, NetApp and NT?

13. Is it possible to validate backup?