Need script to create .htpasswd files

Post by JS » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I manage a small web site for a membership organization and we want to
create a members-only area. We want to control access using member names
as user IDs and membership numbers as passwords. Easy so far.

I have no problem using the .htaccess/.htpasswd mechanism because I've
done it before. Since we have 400+ members, what I don't want to do is
to sit and manually input each ID and password for encryption. Does
anyone have a script or utility that will input a text file containing
all 400+ ID/password combos (one per line) and output a file containing
the 400+ encrypted passwords (preferably in the .htpasswd format).

As a "retired" programmer, I can generally understand the cgi scripts I
use but I'm no perl programmer so I really need something ready-to-go.

Thanks,

Jane Stevens

Need script to create .htpasswd files

Post by Admi » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Access Denied by script solutions is a simple htpasswd generator for
multiple directories.

You do have to enter each person though

Since the script has to generate the encrypted password

Never heard of such a ready to go script

Now if you had 4000 or so, it would pay to get someone to write such a
simple script

But only 400 members

How fast can you type 400 simple user ID's and PW's

DO it manually

I don't think you'll find a canned script to do it

And it wouldn't pay to get it done custom for only 400 entries

I shouldn't even take 2 hours by hand

Not a lot of time for sectretary to do if you set up access denied and
let the script edit the htpasswords for you

> I manage a small web site for a membership organization and we want to
> create a members-only area. We want to control access using member names
> as user IDs and membership numbers as passwords. Easy so far.

> I have no problem using the .htaccess/.htpasswd mechanism because I've
> done it before. Since we have 400+ members, what I don't want to do is
> to sit and manually input each ID and password for encryption. Does
> anyone have a script or utility that will input a text file containing
> all 400+ ID/password combos (one per line) and output a file containing
> the 400+ encrypted passwords (preferably in the .htpasswd format).

> As a "retired" programmer, I can generally understand the cgi scripts I
> use but I'm no perl programmer so I really need something ready-to-go.

> Thanks,

> Jane Stevens

Need script to create .htpasswd files

Post by iqba » Tue, 26 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi

I have such a script, it generates a password for a userid etc etc. I
cant recakll where i got it from, but its in perl, and can be hacked
quite easily to read from a file, and make it do anything you wish.

If you would like it email me

Iqbal