MIME types info sought for "msword" docs

MIME types info sought for "msword" docs

Post by Dean Karr » Sun, 21 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

I am running the Apache 1.0.3 server and have a PC user who wnats
visitors to his page to download an msword document. He can transfer the
file to our box succesfully. When he clicks on the link from his page
to downlload the file it is transfered but is corrupted when it gets
back to his machine. Is this a mime misconfiguration on the server side?

The mime type I am using for msword docs on the server is:

        text/x-msword doc

Dean...K...
--
Dean Karres               | http://www2.southwind.net/~karres

Southwind Internet Access | Systems Administrator
Wichita, KS               | <Troll-In-Training>

Post by Steve Waltn » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I am running the Apache 1.0.3 server and have a PC user who wnats
> visitors to his page to download an msword document. He can transfer the
> file to our box succesfully. When he clicks on the link from his page
> to downlload the file it is transfered but is corrupted when it gets
> back to his machine. Is this a mime misconfiguration on the server side?

> The mime type I am using for msword docs on the server is:

>         text/x-msword doc

> Dean...K...

   My netscape client has a MIME type of application/ms-word setup for
word documents. This works fine for me. I guess you are getting file
corruption because your PC client (or maybe your server) is doing
UNIX->DOS text file conversion on downloads when the primary MIME type is
text???

--

Symbios Logic             | Phone: (316) 636-8498
3718 N. Rock Road         | FAX:   (316) 636-8889

1. Answer: Re: MIME types info sought for "msword" docs

Hi again,

And thanks to all that responded. I asked how the mime type for MSword
documents should be setup and received several helpfull replies.

The mime type "application/msword" should be set to "doc", or whatever
you specify the filename extention as being.

Dean...K...             [the guy with the happier customers]

--
Dean Karres               | http://www2.southwind.net/~karres

Southwind Internet Access | Systems Administrator
Wichita, KS               | <Troll-In-Training>

2. Linus ISDN with CISCO 200

3. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

4. Will Panasonic 8x4x32 IDE burner burn in linux?

6. (no subject)

8. Buying the perfect Linux SVGA monitor ADVICE

9. "Sager" / "Pro-Star" laptop owners' feedback sought!

10. "Magic" MIME types obsolete?

11. FTP problems "Illegal PORT command" and "Illegal seek"

12. High level design "chief" seeks "indians"

13. ML9.0:"could not find mime type",file system errrors, KDE3.03 unusable