Apache with multiple instances of webserver

Apache with multiple instances of webserver

Post by Venu M Midde » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi All,
        I compiled and installed Apache1.3.6 on a Sun box. The webserver is up
and running fine. I've worked with Netscape Enterprise webservers before.
I know how to create multiple instances of webservers using Netscape Enterprise Administration server. How do I create multiple instances  using Apache .
Isnt there  an adminsitration server  that comes with Apache to create
multiple webservers.
Any ideas ?

Venu

Post by Chris Seide » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> Hi All,
>         I compiled and installed Apache1.3.6 on a Sun box. The webserver is up
> and running fine. I've worked with Netscape Enterprise webservers before.
> I know how to create multiple instances of webservers using Netscape Enterprise
> Administration server. How do I create multiple instances  using Apache .
> Isnt there  an adminsitration server  that comes with Apache to create
> multiple webservers.
> Any ideas ?

> Venu

There are several ways of having virtual web servers with Apache
and different decisions to be made:

 - name based servers vs. IP based servers
 - one instance of Apache for all virtual servers vs. different
   instances for each web server
 - single binary vs. different binaries for each server

To get something like Netscape Enterprise Server was, you should
use different IP based instances with different startup/shutdown files
and different configuration files; depending on your configuration,
create a separate copy of the startup/shutdown and configuration
files,
separate directory structures for your data & logs, separate accounts
and
so on; you can share one single binary for all instances or have
different ones with different modules, depending on your needs;

in the startup files, you select the binary and configuration file
for the virtual server; these servers are independent from each other;

  Chris

--

AlpSys GmbH Internet Services und Systemberatung
Muenchner Str. 43                     D 83607 Holzkirchen

1. Zebra: Multiple instances and routing between instances?

Is it possible to run multiple instances of the zebra routing software
on linux?  And is there a way to have those multiple virtual router
instances to talk with each other?  The goal would be to set up say
eight instances of zebra on one linux server in order to facilitate
labbing out OSPF for example.

Thanks.

2. Jana Publishing again

3. Sending uploaded files from one Apache WebServer to another Apache WebServer

4. dcopserver; can't start kde

5. Multiple instances of httpd (apache)??

6. Software watchdog for monitoring?

7. Multiple Instances of Apache

8. NEED HELP on modem

9. Multiple instances of Apache

10. Multiple instances in Apache possible ? (not virtual servers)

11. Multiple Instances of Apache

12. debian packages for multiple apache instances?

13. Running multiple instances of Apache on a Linux box?