Which Scripting Language? Jscript? Pearl? Java? ActiveX?

Which Scripting Language? Jscript? Pearl? Java? ActiveX?

Post by Hann » Tue, 20 May 1997 04:00:00

There is only 24 hours in a day and it is becoming more and more
difficult to keep up with all the new technologies in WWW hosting.
There is no way a relatively new web server administrator can handle
all the scripting languages etc. available these days.
As a small-medium ISP, we run Apache in a Sun box, works well.
However, everybody wants Frontpage extensions, Jscripts, CGI, ActiveX
you name it.  We have looked into different solutions, the IIS seems
somewhat interesting, especially when we have a powerful NT box.
We are also looking into the new Sun web server.
We hope to find a server side solution, that we can support with
reasonable expertise, to offer scripting etc. to our web customers.
Somehow we have to be able to concetrate in one family of web
solutions without having to learn everything out there.
Any ideas? Suggestions?
Unix-Apache-Java-Pearl?
NT-IIS-VBscript-ActiveX?

Post by David Richar » Wed, 21 May 1997 04:00:00

>There is only 24 hours in a day and it is becoming more and more
>difficult to keep up with all the new technologies in WWW hosting.
>There is no way a relatively new web server administrator can handle
>all the scripting languages etc. available these days.

Server-side scripting would be PERL (no A!) or Java (NOT Javascript),
or perhaps C, Python, etc...

Client-side scripting with Javascript, ActiveX, etc requires little or no
support from the server or the server's admins.

Quote:>As a small-medium ISP, we run Apache in a Sun box, works well.
>However, everybody wants Frontpage extensions, Jscripts, CGI, ActiveX
>you name it.  We have looked into different solutions, the IIS seems
>somewhat interesting, especially when we have a powerful NT box.

The Front Page Extensions are a security hole.
ActiveX is strictly a Microsoft proprietary white elephant.

CGI is the generic term for scripts that run on the server.

Quote:>We are also looking into the new Sun web server.
>We hope to find a server side solution, that we can support with
>reasonable expertise, to offer scripting etc. to our web customers.
>Somehow we have to be able to concetrate in one family of web
>solutions without having to learn everything out there.
>Any ideas? Suggestions?
>Unix-Apache-Java-Pearl?
>NT-IIS-VBscript-ActiveX?

I'd suggest Unix->Apache, consider writing your more important CGI in 'C'
(if you have the time to write and debug C programs) and also making PERL,
Java, and Python intepreters available to customers.

--
David Richards                             Ripco, since Nine*-Eighty-Three
My opinions are my own, IRS withstanding   Public Access in Chicago

Which Scripting Language? Jscript? Pearl? Java? ActiveX?

Post by Matthew Newbur » Thu, 22 May 1997 04:00:00

To the original poster:

I would have to say that a new webmaster being thrown into the frey and
having to come up with fully functioning CGI's in a short period of time
should spend a little time looking at perl.

I'm *not* saying that perl is the only language out there for CGI but
there is a large community of perl/CGI users out there so getting help
when you're stuck can be a tad easier.  There is also a large volume of
pre-written scripts (i.e. Selan Sol, Matt's Script Archive, etc.) where
you can learn from a free script and eventually produce your own.

Just my $.02

Matt