comp.mail.sendmail

Post by Gregory J Sak » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I'm running Apache 1.3 under RedHat Linux 5.2.  I'm trying to enable the
"UserDir" feature in Access.conf so that http://oursite.foo.bar/~bob/ will
open index.html under /home/bob/public_html.

Right now, such an attempt logs an error "Access to /home/bob/public_html
denied by rule.  Obviously, there's something else I need to do to enable
this feature.  Do I need a </Directory> declaration somewhere?
Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
--
----------------------------------
Gregory J. Sakal, Systems Librarian

comp.mail.sendmail

Post by Christopher Schul » Fri, 19 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I'm running Apache 1.3 under RedHat Linux 5.2.  I'm trying to enable the
>"UserDir" feature in Access.conf so that http://oursite.foo.bar/~bob/ will
>open index.html under /home/bob/public_html.

>Right now, such an attempt logs an error "Access to /home/bob/public_html
>denied by rule.  Obviously, there's something else I need to do to enable
>this feature.  Do I need a </Directory> declaration somewhere?
>Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

>Greg

Why in the world did you name this thread "comp.mail.sendmail"?  Makes
no sense!

In any event:

Is there an index.html file in bob's public_html folder?  Is it
readable by the web server?

If so, do you have index.html listed as a DirectoryIndex?  This should
be in httpd.conf.

Next look at permissions on the user directories (and their parents)
to make sure apache has the correct access to even read the data.

If still no go, take a look and scour your conf files for any
<directory> statements that might cover your users public_html
directories.  If none is active, then that might be what the problem
is.  Default apache configs should have something like this:

# First, we configure the "default" to be a very restrictive set of
# permissions.
#
<Directory />
    Order deny,allow
    Deny from all
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

And unless you override that with something to give public_html
directories access, apache will not display them.

Look for something like:

#
# Control access to UserDir directories.  The following is an example
# for a site where these directories are restricted to read-only.
#
#<Directory /*/public_html>
#    AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
#    Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
#    <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
#        Order allow,deny
#        Allow from all
#    </Limit>
#    <Limit PUT DELETE PATCH PROPPATCH MKCOL COPY MOVE LOCK UNLOCK>
#        Order deny,allow
#        Deny from all
#    </Limit>
#</Directory>

And see if you have it commented or not.

Good luck,

--
Christopher Schulte

Replace usenet with chris to send mail.

will *never* get to me. I hate spam!

1. AIX 4.1 Sendmail; comp.mail.sendmail

I have a sendmail problem on our RS/6000 running AIX 4.1, and whatever
version of Sendmail came with it.  A Linux machine on the network is the
mail exchanger for our domain with an MX record in the DNS tables.  When
users on the AIX machine attempt to send mail to anyone else on the network,
the mail falls into the queue with an error message that the relay machine
(the Linux box) will not accept the connection.  Users on the RS/6000can,
however, send mail to anyone outside of our network.

If, however, mail from the RS/6000 is sent to the Linux box with a fully
qualified address, including the machine name, the mail will get delivered.

Examples: domain foobar.com

fails.

Delivery succeeds.

succeeds.

The Linux box runs sendmail 4.8, which has no problem accepting mail for
relay from any other host on the system.  The RS/6000 is correctly  listed
in the Linux machine's /etc/mail/ tables as having permission to relay.

I would appreciate any suggestions that folks might have for troubleshooting
this problem.

Gregory J. Sakal
Consulting Systems Librarian
EDS/Weston Jesuit Library
Cambridge, MA

2. Best C++ compiler

3. POLL: comp.mail.smail [reference to news.groups,comp.mail.misc]

4. XFree86 3.1.1 and #9 Vision330 (S3764)

5. comp.sys.hp comp.sys.sgi comp.sys.sun comp.unix.ultrix comp.unix.wizards

6. Pentium III 600+Red Hat Linux 6.1=Math bug, I Need help

7. comp.os.linux, comp.os.linux.misc, comp.os.linux.security, comp.os.linux.networking

8. smail 3.1.28.1 problem

9. mail daemon: smail, sendmail+IDA 5.6.x, Sendmail 8.6.4, umail

10. mail sendmail sendmail.cf problems

11. Repost from com.mail.sendmail, problem with solaris /etc/hosts and sendmail

12. sendmail patch overwrites /etc/mail/sendmail.cf

13. queueing mail to /var/mail/'owner' in sendmail 8.9.3?