log limit?!?

Post by Cristian Satni » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have apache on unix and the log usually grows at 30 MB per week.  What
is a good limit for the log size given this volume so I know when I should
back it up?  100MB, 200MB or what?

thanks in advance
 PS. please also cc this to my email

|------------------------|
|  Cristian Satnic       |

|  http://www.allny.com  |
|------------------------|

log limit?!?

Post by Marc Slemk » Sat, 31 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I have apache on unix and the log usually grows at 30 MB per week.  What
>is a good limit for the log size given this volume so I know when I should
>back it up?  100MB, 200MB or what?

However big you want.  There is almost no overhead in writing to large
logs.  It depends entirely on what you want to do with it, how much
disk space you have available, etc.

log limit?!?

Post by Dougal Campbel » Tue, 03 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I have apache on unix and the log usually grows at 30 MB per week.  What
> is a good limit for the log size given this volume so I know when I should
> back it up?  100MB, 200MB or what?

On one of my FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE systems, we've found that one of our
cgi-heavy customers has problems if we let their logs grow to more than
64M. I haven't found a reason for it (haven't really tried, to tell the
truth). But we worked around the problem by handling their log in
/etc/newsyslog.conf to auto-rotate their log at about the 56M mark.

--
Dougal Campbell, Systems Manager, ADViCOM   http://www.advicom.net/

   See my homepage for anti-spam information and pgp public key!
Lumber Cartel Unit #1654 (tinlc): http://come.to/the.lumber.cartel/
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT:
Lewis's Law of Travel:
        The first piece of luggage out of the chute doesn't belong to
anyone, ever.

log limit?!?

Post by Jeff Donahu » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Why don't you put a rotation on the logs. We keep the previous thirty days
logs and rotate them at 12:00 A.M...

> > I have apache on unix and the log usually grows at 30 MB per week.  What
> > is a good limit for the log size given this volume so I know when I should
> > back it up?  100MB, 200MB or what?

> On one of my FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE systems, we've found that one of our
> cgi-heavy customers has problems if we let their logs grow to more than
> 64M. I haven't found a reason for it (haven't really tried, to tell the
> truth). But we worked around the problem by handling their log in
> /etc/newsyslog.conf to auto-rotate their log at about the 56M mark.

> --
> Dougal Campbell, Systems Manager, ADViCOM   http://www.advicom.net/

>    See my homepage for anti-spam information and pgp public key!
> Lumber Cartel Unit #1654 (tinlc): http://come.to/the.lumber.cartel/
> QUOTE OF THE MOMENT:
> Lewis's Law of Travel:
>    The first piece of luggage out of the chute doesn't belong to
> anyone, ever.

Jeff
Shore.Net Senior Webadmin

Jeff Donahue                        http://www.shore.net/
    ...Have you heard about our new Mysql service?...

1. NCSA HTTPd log limiting

Does anyone know of a way to limit which directories are logged (or are
not logged) in NCSA HTTPd 1.5?  I need to restrict which directories are
logged, especially those which contain only buttons/graphics.  There is no
need to log actions which are incidental to an HTML page, and in our case,
they probably take up 50% of our logs.

Any help is appreciated!

Sincerely,
John Littlefield

The views expressed are personal and are not those of MCC, this news server, or anyone else, whether expressed or implied!
------------=><=-------------+----------=><=--------------------=><=----------

 \_\_ \_\_ \_      \_        | MCC Membership Services     512/ 338-3458 phone
  \_ \_  \_ \_      \_       | 3500 West Balcones Ctr.     512/ 338-3898 fax
   \_     \_  \_\_\_  \_\_\_ | Austin,  TX  78759-5398     http://www.mcc.com/
  The Future of Technology!  |          http://www.mcc.com/~littlef/
------------=><=-------------+----------=><=--------------------=><=----------

2. Unix publicationms

3. Apache, httpd.conf, transferLog: Limiting certain files from being logged

4. accessing this list

5. How to limit cron logging?

6. FLORIDA!!! EUSTIS!!! "Installation party" desired!!!

7. logging when resource limits reached

8. Catching a stack-overflow?

9. Apache log size limiting...

10. Limiting entries in Apache access.log

11. iptables logging too much - how to limit?

12. Wanted: a limit on kernel log buffer size

13. Logging and Limiting Logins