AliasMatch is looping apache

Post by Todd Lieberma » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I used the command

AliasMatch /pub/dir/.* "d:\newpub\dir"

Apache choked on this and entered a loop when I pointed a browser to the
path that needed to be redirected.  This also added many MB to my access.log
file.  After realizing the error in my command.  I edited the AliasMatch to

AliasMatch pub/dir/* "d:\newpub\dir"

Then, when I tried to stop and restart Apache, it just didn't want to
restart.  It would not even show the clock w/the second hand moving.  To
start the service, I had to clear the access.log, error.log and httpd.pid
files.  The service started right up after the house cleaning.  Is this
service restart a bug in apache or were my log files simply too large?

I am running apache 1.3.1 on NT 4 SP3.

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 11 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> I used the command
> AliasMatch /pub/dir/.* "d:\newpub\dir"
> Apache choked on this and entered a loop when I pointed a browser to the
> path that needed to be redirected.  This also added many MB to my access.log
> file.  After realizing the error in my command.  I edited the AliasMatch to
> AliasMatch pub/dir/* "d:\newpub\dir"
> Then, when I tried to stop and restart Apache, it just didn't want to
> restart.  It would not even show the clock w/the second hand moving.  To
> start the service, I had to clear the access.log, error.log and httpd.pid
> files.  The service started right up after the house cleaning.  Is this
> service restart a bug in apache or were my log files simply too large?
> I am running apache 1.3.1 on NT 4 SP3.

1. Try the windows version of this group.  There will be much better
expertise there on this type of question.

2. Don't you need to use forward slashes for everything in the apache
config -- even when you are running on NT?  My guess would be that
what you want is
Alias /pub/dir "d:/newpub/dir"
or something similar.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

1. Apache UserDir/AliasMatch

(I don't think this was posted, so this is a repost! Sorry
if you're seeing this twice!)

I have a question that maybe others could answer:

I'm in the process of changing servers from Netscape
to Apache.  In my Netscape configs, we have home
directories set up with the www.domain.name/~user
to go to the an html directory in the users home
dir.

Here's the problem: in Apache, the home directory
listed in /etc/passwd, but on our Netscape
server, we have a *specfic* file (set up like
/etc/passwd) and it uses the path listed there
and NOT the one in /etc/passwd.   Is there a way
to make Apache read the paths from a different
file?

I looked at the AliasMatch as an option, but
that only works if all of the paths in the file
for the users match.  There are special paths
that would not work (i.e  if we wanted ~stuff
to go to a non-user directory, the AliasMatch
would fail. Yes, we could add an alias, but we have
a TON of these).

Any ideas would be appreciated!

----------

Merit Network, Inc.                     Phone: 734-647-9888
4251 Plymouth Road, Suite 2000          Ann Arbor, MI  48105-2785
                        http://www.merit.edu

2. COMMERCIAL: 99 cent CD-ROM with Slackware 3.1

3. I have a problem with my Adaptec 1510 scsi contorller

4. Apache aliasmatch to match user directories

5. SVGAlib & S3d Virge

6. apache AliasMatch question

7. RH9 Server + qmail

8. Q: Apache (1.3.9) + Proxy + AliasMatch

9. AliasMatch from ~/account to /users/account

10. AliasMatch problems

11. AliasMatch

12. AliasMatch to remove ~ in URL