ncsa server problem

Post by Laura Fa » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

I have a user that said my server with give him a window that he could choose
where to save the pkzip files he has in his directory.  Now he says the server
treats them as default text, i.e., no window.  I can compress any file with the
unix compression utilities and I get the window.  I am at a lose as how to help
him.  I've changed nothing with the server (with the exception of upgrading to
ncsa 1.5.1 then down grading again to what I had previously, ncsa 1.5a, with all
the same configuration files).  I'm wondering if this has something to do with
dos/unix and how they treat the compression file.

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

--Laura

ncsa server problem

Post by Steff Watki » Wed, 15 May 1996 04:00:00

: I have a user that said my server with give him a window that he could choose
: where to save the pkzip files he has in his directory.  Now he says the server
: treats them as default text, i.e., no window.  I can compress any file with the
: unix compression utilities and I get the window.  I am at a lose as how to help
: him.  I've changed nothing with the server (with the exception of upgrading to
: ncsa 1.5.1 then down grading again to what I had previously, ncsa 1.5a, with all
: the same configuration files).  I'm wondering if this has something to do with
: dos/unix and how they treat the compression file.

: Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Hi Laura,

 Sounds a bit like your USERS'S configuration has got messed up somehow.

The server and browser do content negotiation, when the server sends the
'Content-type:' line. If the user has altered the 'mime-type' file on
their browser, it could be that the browser no longer recognises the MIME
type your server is giving, and so defaults to a MIME type of 'text/html'
or 'text/plain'.

Just an idea.. I love working in a distributed environment. You can put
most of the problems BACK on the users!!! *8)

Steff

: WebHeadsRUs URL: http://sw.cse.bris.ac.uk/  <= As mentioned in Wired 1.04 on
: NEW :- The Web 'Triv machine' game - http://sw.cse.bris.ac.uk/quiz.html
: Making a fire so big that the gods will notice me again!!!

1. FrontPage Extensions for NCSA Server Problem

I installed FrontPage 1.1 on Windows NT, NCSA Server 1.5 on Sun Solaris with the FrontPage
Extensions. I expected that I should be able to copy Webs created on Windows NT workstation to the
Solaris Server, but it was not possible, because the server didn't accept my aministrator password.
After I copied all Web data using ftp, the most pages works on the Sun Solaris Server, but specific
FrontPage functions like forms doesn't work. The question is: What is wrong?

2. Linux on Digital Pentium ?

3. Can NCSA HTTP server be set up as Proxy Server and Web server?

4. VI for IBM PC

5. Problems with NCSA 'DocFinder' under NCSA HTTPd 1.5

6. some info on education

7. Scripts and server-side includes with NCSA server

8. Linux installation .96a?

9. Problem with .htpasswd using NCSA server version 1.5a

10. help with NCSA server install -- one last problem ...

11. occasional problems with my NCSA httpd server: please help!

12. server side includes NCSA problem

13. Problem with NCSA 1.4 Server Side includes