Apache (Oracle HTTP Server) mmap: Invalid argument on Linux system

Apache (Oracle HTTP Server) mmap: Invalid argument on Linux system

Post by oz » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 01:59:14

I have a Debian Linux 2.2.19 installation with 384MB RAM (unsupported I
know, but nearly everything seems to work correctly. i have applied all
redhat patches including binutils-2.10)
I have downloaded and installed a Oracle 9iAS installation.  All the
services started, except for the Oracle HTTP Server.  On trying to start it
manually, i get:

[Fri Jul  5 14:13:29 2002] [warn] pid file
/cache/oracle/product/9iAS_9.0.2/Apache/Apache/logs/httpd.pid overwritten --
Unclean shutdown of previous Apache run?
[Fri Jul  5 14:13:29 2002] [notice] FastCGI: process manager initialized
(pid 959)
[Fri Jul  5 14:13:29 2002] [notice] FastCGI: server
"/cache/oracle/product/9iAS_9.0.2/Apache/Apache/fcgi-bin/echo" started (pid
960)
mmap: Invalid argument
httpd: Could not mmap memory
[Fri Jul  5 14:13:36 2002] [error] Parent process has died... exiting

I think this is some to do with shm, semaphones etc.

The problem is, I have tried to set the /proc/sys/kernel values as specified
in the Installation Notes, but /proc/sys/kernel/sem is nowhere to be found.
I have tried rebuilding the kernel, but this seems to introduce more errors!

Questions are:

- Has anybody else come up with this error on Linux, and how can it be
solved.
- Secondly, how do I get the sem params to show up under /proc/sys/kernel?

Thanks

http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
-----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

Apache (Oracle HTTP Server) mmap: Invalid argument on Linux system

Post by Juha Laih » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 03:47:00

Quote:>I have a Debian Linux 2.2.19 installation [...]
>I have downloaded and installed a Oracle 9iAS installation.  All the
>services started, except for the Oracle HTTP Server.  On trying to start it
>manually, i get:
>mmap: Invalid argument
>httpd: Could not mmap memory
>[Fri Jul  5 14:13:36 2002] [error] Parent process has died... exiting

>I think this is some to do with shm, semaphones etc.

Not likely, as it's dying on mmap() call instead of one of the
sem*()/shm*() calls.

I'd recommend running the httpd under strace and looking at the strace
log files to see what goes wrong and how (what were the arguments
passed to mmap when it returned the EINVAL aka "Invalid argument"
response). Then determine from mmap manual pages whether or not
the arguments should or should not be valid for your particular
kernel version.

My manual page for mmap says
       EINVAL We don't like start or length  or  offset.   (E.g.,
              they  are  too  large, or not aligned on a PAGESIZE
              boundary.)

... but yours might be different, so check that.

Quote:>The problem is, I have tried to set the /proc/sys/kernel values as specified
>in the Installation Notes, but /proc/sys/kernel/sem is nowhere to be found.
>I have tried rebuilding the kernel, but this seems to introduce more errors!

>Questions are:

>- Has anybody else come up with this error on Linux, and how can it be
>solved.
>- Secondly, how do I get the sem params to show up under /proc/sys/kernel?

Apparently by having the kernel version recommended by Oracle; apologies,
I'd check the IAS Linux installation guide, but downloading that 24M
file would take too long on my connection.
--
Wolf  a.k.a.  Juha Laiho     Espoo, Finland

1. Apache Proxy server that will transform an HTTP request in a HTTPS request

Hello,

I'm looking for a software solution that can receive an HTTP request
and forwarding or proxying it in HTTPS.

For example : An application that makes https request but that can't
make https, will go through an Apache proxy that will encrypt the HTTP
request for the application and forward the request to the secure site
that will reply the same way.

 _____________              __________              ________
|             |            |          |            |        |
| Application | - HTTP --> | Apache   | - HTTPS -->| Secure |
|             |            | Proxy (?)|            | Site   |
|_____________|            |__________|            |________|

IT's a bit like a SSL accelerator but working on the opposite way.

Is it possible with Apache ? How is it possible ? mod_ssl + mod_proxy
?

Thank you for your help.

Gilles.

2. how to install evolution 1.4 on Mandrake Linux 9.1

3. How to add a http header using .htaccess for apache http server under windows environment

4. GTK1.24 can'y find glib 1.24

5. apache-ssl: how to setup two versions of server, http:// and https:// ?

6. How to transfer a pkg between 2 workstations ?

7. Apache 1.2b8: select: (listen): Invalid argument

8. SCSI HELP!

9. Cannot start Apache: "initgroups: Invalid argument"

10. Apache install error: Invalid argument: setgid

11. "Invalid argument" error from close() system call

12. Apache 1.1 "setgid: Invalid argument"

13. 'Invalid argument: setsockopt: (TCP_NODELAY)' warnings in Apache log