Mail filter on Unix Server

Post by Stefan Schicke » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

How can I install a mail filter on my unix server in order to forward
messages bigger than 1MB to another account.
Is it also possible to send only a copy to the other acount? (similar to the
.forward file?)

Tnx,
--

Visit my law-infos:
http://www.schicker.com

Mail filter on Unix Server

Post by slive+n.. » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: How can I install a mail filter on my unix server in order to forward
: messages bigger than 1MB to another account.
: Is it also possible to send only a copy to the other acount? (similar to the
: .forward file?)

This is certainly not the correct news group for this question.  Try
comp.mail.misc or something similar.

The answer will almost certainly involve procmail.

--
Joshua Slive

http://finance.commerce.ubc.ca/~slive/

Mail filter on Unix Server

Post by root.noharvest. » Thu, 06 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>How can I install a mail filter on my unix server in order to forward
>messages bigger than 1MB to another account.
>Is it also possible to send only a copy to the other acount? (similar to the
>.forward file?)

Not sure how this meets the requirements for posting in thei ng, but
why not just use the .forward file?

use a perl (or other) script as the destination in your .forward file,
then do the logic in your perl script to dispose of the messages
accordingly.

1. mail filtering problem using elm filter

Hi All,

I am having some major difficulties in setting up something which I have
previously done easily.  I am attempting to archive mail items that I
receive in a html format.

To start with I set up the .forward file to send all the mail through
the filter programme that comes with the elm distribution.

I then set up the filter-rules file to the following:

if [subject contains "test"] then execute "~/mail2html test"

The mail2html script should then be called, archiving the mail in html
format.

The script doesn't seem to run.  I can execute the script successfully
from the prompt, and I even achieve the desired results.

Using the filter -s command, I find that the filter is processing the
messages, ie the counter increases as mail passes into the system, but
there is no result.

I have contacted my ISP, but they seem to be oblivious to the world of
UNIX, so I thought to ask you!!

Is there something wrong with the syntax above, or is it possible that
the Sysadmin has prevented the filter from executed scripts.  If anyone
has any suggestions please let me know.

Cheers

Matt Nicholls.

2. vmx to unix rlogin

3. Filters for UNIX mail

4. NSAPI and NDBM

5. (OT) IP Filter: Multiple mail servers behind one firewall

6. Fork, pipe and dup question

7. server side mail filtering

8. How to use same variable in different scripts

9. mail filter on pop3 server

10. mail-filtering on kerberos pop servers

11. Using ELM filter and shell script as mail server

12. Mail server and filter recommandation required

13. Mail to Exchange Server from Unix Server