cgi error msg.: [an error occurred while processing this directive]

cgi error msg.: [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Post by aaasssx » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 01:39:06

Hi All:

I have no problem to 'use' default cgi-bin directory.

I can not make a specified cgi-bin directory to work, here is what I did:
step (A) to (D).

(A) on the computer:
mkdir /www/cgi-bin

(B) edit/add to httpd.conf:

(B-1): add:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/www/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/www/cgi-bin">
        AllowOverride None
        Options ExecCGI
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
</Directory>

(B-2): uncomment:

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

(C). Restart httpd, and

(D). get this error message on browser:

any idea?
Thanks a lot.

P.S. I wonder that I need uncomment these two lines, because my file is *.shtml

#AddType text/html .shtml
#AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

cgi error msg.: [an error occurred while processing this directive]

Post by Mark Tayl » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:31:27

Quote:>Hi All:

>I have no problem to 'use' default cgi-bin directory.

>I can not make a specified cgi-bin directory to work, here is what I
>did: step (A) to (D).

>(A) on the computer:
>mkdir /www/cgi-bin

>(B) edit/add to httpd.conf:

>(B-1): add:

>ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ "/www/cgi-bin/"

><Directory "/www/cgi-bin">
>        AllowOverride None
>        Options ExecCGI
>        Order allow,deny
>        Allow from all
></Directory>

>(B-2): uncomment:

>AddHandler cgi-script .cgi .pl

>(C). Restart httpd, and

>(D). get this error message on browser:

>[an error occurred while processing this directive]

>any idea?
>Thanks a lot.

>P.S. I wonder that I need uncomment these two lines, because my file is
>*.shtml

>#AddType text/html .shtml
>#AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Yes, you do need to uncomment these two lines. Otherwise the server is not
going to try and parse the .shtml file. The error is an ssi error and not a
cgi error.

Just to be sure your alias is working see if it will display a text file in
that directory.

Mark

Post by Scott Yanof » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 02:45:20

> P.S. I wonder that I need uncomment these two lines, because my file is *.shtml

> #AddType text/html .shtml
> #AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

Yes, that would do it.  If you then continue to receive error messages,
the SSI you are using might have an incorrect path or the CGI you are
executing may be giving an error.  You can view the error log file for
details.

Good luck,
--
-Scott

Post by Joshua Sliv » Fri, 31 Aug 2001 05:06:47

>> P.S. I wonder that I need uncomment these two lines, because my file is *.shtml

>> #AddType text/html .shtml
>> #AddHandler server-parsed .shtml
> Yes, that would do it.  If you then continue to receive error messages,
> the SSI you are using might have an incorrect path or the CGI you are
> executing may be giving an error.  You can view the error log file for
> details.

I believe the last two answers were incorrect.  Apache will
not give [an error occurred...] messages unless it is already
processing the files via mod_include.

Your question is a little confusing, because it seems you are mixing
up cgi and ssi.  These are very different things.  Check the two
tutorials on the apache website.

I'm guessing that you are trying to do an <!--#include of a cgi
in an ssi page.  If so, try first calling the cgi directly,
without going through the ssi.  Once that works, then go
back to the indirect method.

Also, be sure to check your error log.

--
Joshua Slive

http://slive.ca/

1. NS 1.1 Server and "[an error occurred while processing this directive]"

I am trying my best to switch over to the Netscape Commerce server, but all
of my server-parsed HTML with exec tags generates the error:

The exec job runs first-- then prints the error.  The problem is
intermittent-- 90% of the time the error occurs; 10% is doesn't.
Netscape support says they have never heard of the problem.  I set up a
demo which shows the bug with Netscape, and the same script working fine
with NCSA httpd 1.4.  The URL is:

http://www.wfu.edu:8080/~noel/test.html

If anyone can suggest a fix, please email me.  I will summarize for the
newsgroup and tell the Netscape folks if I find an answer.

--
* Noel Hunter,  Academic Systems Administrator,    Wake Forest University *

*         <A HREF=http://www.wfu.edu/~noel>Noel's Home Page</A>           *

2. NFS with UID translation?

3. C++ with ELF dynamic loading?

4. SCSI error msg - st0: Error with sense data

5. Linux on Xbox?

6. ncurses 1.9.9g error msg: "error opening terminal: console"

7. Vibra16 soundcard problem...

8. strange error msg in .xsession-errors

9. PPP error msg "tcgetattr: Input/output error"

10. Error msg "Read error from network: Connection reset by peer"

11. Intermittent CGI error: "Resource Temporarily Unavailable: couldn't spawn child process"

12. error 500 w/CGI, error 503 w/imagemap